How to run gzDoom in a window, without focusing on the tab?

Need help running G/Q/ZDoom/ECWolf/Zandronum/3DGE/EDuke32/Raze? Did your computer break? Ask here.

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Forum rules
Contrary to popular belief, we are not all-knowing-all-seeing magical beings!

If you want help you're going to have to provide lots of info. Like what is your hardware, what is your operating system, what version of GZDoom/LZDoom/whatever you're using, what mods you're loading, how you're loading it, what you've already tried for fixing the problem, and anything else that is even remotely relevant to the problem.

We can't magically figure out what it is if you're going to be vague, and if we feel like you're just wasting our time with guessing games we will act like that's what you're really doing and won't help you.
CD-Roman

How to run gzDoom in a window, without focusing on the tab?

Post by CD-Roman »

I want to run 2 simultaneous gzdoom to play multiplayer in window mode side by side, however, only one exe is refreshing the screen, the other one works,
but is frozen. Is there any workaround?
_mental_

Re: How to run gzDoom in a window, without focusing on the t

Post by _mental_ »

Set vid_activeinbackground CVAR to true.
CD-Roman

Post by CD-Roman »

WORKS great. That command is somewhere in the game options?
_mental_

Post by _mental_ »

No, menu is already cluttered with way too many kinda useful options.
CD-Roman

Post by CD-Roman »

I understand. I appreciate super fast reply!
One more question related to this mode - is it possible to control both windows using two separate controllers?
As far as I understand, Doom does not see the difference beetween Device 1 Xbox Controller and Device 2 Xbox Controller, I have also tried a combination of Xbox 360 and Xbox One controllers, using two separate USB receivers, but the input is accepted from both windows at the same time.

I have even went as far as configuring one profile as controller binds exclusively, and the second window as keyboard only, and using an 3rd party app that is using xinput/directinput to translate it to keyboard buttons, so when I press A on my Xbox controller, it will press space on the keyboard, which would translate it to the Doom as jump command. It does work, but if I press the A button, both windows accepts the input and is following the bind command.

I have even tried to run two seperate exe from two folders. Still no luck.
I'm trying to ge gzDoom to work in side-by-side multiplayer mode.
Thanks in advance!

Return to “Technical Issues”