Muffled/Compressed Sound in GZDooM 3.5.1

Need help running G/Q/ZDoom/ECWolf/Zandronum/3DGE/EDuke32/Raze? Did your computer break? Ask here.

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Forum rules
Contrary to popular belief, we are not all-knowing-all-seeing magical beings!

If you want help you're going to have to provide lots of info. Like what is your hardware, what is your operating system, what version of GZDoom/LZDoom/whatever you're using, what mods you're loading, how you're loading it, what you've already tried for fixing the problem, and anything else that is even remotely relevant to the problem.

We can't magically figure out what it is if you're going to be vague, and if we feel like you're just wasting our time with guessing games we will act like that's what you're really doing and won't help you.
Ligmatism

Muffled/Compressed Sound in GZDooM 3.5.1

Post by Ligmatism »

I just upgraded from GZDOOM 3.4.1 to GZDOOM 3.5.1, and for some reason, no matter what I do, all sounds are played in Mono. Music is fine and dandy, but ALL the sounds are in mono. I've messed with pretty much every sound option available, from sample rate to OpenAL resampler, and everything is still in mono. I'm quite frustrated with this, since some higher quality stereo gun sounds like those from Brutal Doom and such either play exactly in front of me, or completely to the left or right.

I don't know exactly what I can do to fix it, but I wasn't having this problem in GZDoom 3.4.1.
Rachael
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Re: Muffled/Compressed Sound in GZDooM 3.5.1

Post by Rachael »

What happens when you copy GZDoom 3.4.1's .dll's over?
Ligmatism

Post by Ligmatism »

Fixed! That did it. The sound works fine now. I just copied over the OpenAL.ddl from the 3.4.1 zip file, overwrote the existing OpenAL.ddl, and voila! Thanks a bunch.
Rachael
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Rachael »

Are you using 32-bit or 64-bit?

The reason I ask is because I am the one who prepared the 32-bit archive, and am interested in knowing if I did so incorrectly. (I think I used Graf's 3.5.0 as a base)
drfrag
Vintage GZDoom Developer

Post by drfrag »

3.4.1 was actually the one with the wrong dll, i guess he has installed to the same folder.
Sinael

Post by Sinael »

On the fresh install of GZDoom 3.6.0 sound is still muffled/compressed. On the older versions (before 3.4, separate folders) sound is fine.

Return to “Technical Issues”