Multiplayer hosting issues

Need help running G/Q/ZDoom/ECWolf/Zandronum/3DGE/EDuke32/Raze? Did your computer break? Ask here.

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Forum rules
Contrary to popular belief, we are not all-knowing-all-seeing magical beings!

If you want help you're going to have to provide lots of info. Like what is your hardware, what is your operating system, what version of GZDoom/LZDoom/whatever you're using, what mods you're loading, how you're loading it, what you've already tried for fixing the problem, and anything else that is even remotely relevant to the problem.

We can't magically figure out what it is if you're going to be vague, and if we feel like you're just wasting our time with guessing games we will act like that's what you're really doing and won't help you.
AmiableInferno

Multiplayer hosting issues

Post by AmiableInferno »

My friends and I got into Doom pretty recently. Shortly after that, we reached the logical conclusion to things: multiplayer. Unfortunately, trying to host a multiplayer game with even one of my friends has been like hitting a brick wall. I've been mainly testing with a single specific friend of mine, and we have not yet succeeded in having him join the multiplayer sessions I've set up. The two of us are both using the same version of gzdoom (3.5.1), and we both have made exceptions for gzdoom in our firewalls. I have also forwarded the UDP port 5029, but it doesn't seem to have aided things.

The batch file I use for hosting is as follows:
Spoiler:
...And the batch file my friend has tried to use for joining is here:
Spoiler:
We even ended up trying Hamachi at one point, and that did not work.

Even if you can't help me sort this out, if you made it this far, I sincerely appreciate it.
zolgar

Re: Multiplayer hosting issues

Post by zolgar »

Do those commands work in single player? Alternatively, have you tried hosting a game with just doom2.wad without all that extra crap? A lot of those don't have extensions, are those files or folders? Are you receiving any error messages?
AmiableInferno

Post by AmiableInferno »

Sorry for the delay, but we have not tested with only Doom 2. I'll comment on how that goes once it happens. I can connect to myself locally and everything seems to work properly, although I haven't done extensive testing. As far as I'm aware the RPG mod is no longer supported, and while errors do come up, they happen during GZDOOM itself launching and are all related to being unable to find specific actors. I assume this is partly to do with the mod no longer being developed. I have enough experience playing solo with this setup to know it works gameplay-wise. The file entries that don't have extensions are directories, and they work as intended.
Zen3001

Post by Zen3001 »

in case you're not playing lan, do that instead. I have tried it out with the other kids in the class when we get into the computerroom, worked just fine and (I at least had a lot of fun beating them).
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

Zen3001 wrote:in case you're not playing lan, do that instead. I have tried it out with the other kids in the class when we get into the computerroom, worked just fine and (I at least had a lot of fun beating them).
If he's talking about using Hamachi and needing to forward ports, it's probably safe to assume that LAN isn't an option, since you kind of need to be in the same room to be able to do that.
Rachael
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Rachael »

If you're using Hamachi you shouldn't need to forward ports - Hamachi is a VPN which creates a virtual LAN and allows you to communicate to others on your network as if they were sitting right next to you. (Which is a serious security issue unless you do that only with people you trust)
AmiableInferno

Post by AmiableInferno »

To clarify: Hamachi was only used to test whether it would get things to work, and it did not. We are attempting to connect over the internet. We tested without mods just now, and the result was the same as all the other attempts. I'll try to be a bit faster when it comes to replying, considering that we've once again hit a dead end. The fact that I've addressed all of the standard issues (that I'm aware of) makes me think this is a user error rather than the alternatives.
XxMiltenXx
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by XxMiltenXx »

I don't recommend it, but you can try to disable your Windows Firewall entirely and then try to connect. I sometimes had issues with the Windows firewall, even after I had added exceptions for the program. Cause it's odd that even Hamachi doesn't work. You can also try Tunngle - a program like Hamachi. But it also needs port forwarding but I personally found it to be better than Hamachi. In any case, it should work without either Hamachi or Tunngle if set up correctly.

Another thing you can try is to let your friend host instead of you.
Depending on your internet provider you might be behind another router/firewall by your internet provider that you're unaware of. In this might be the case there's nothing much you can do. My brother once had this issue with a 4G wireless router from Telekom (Germany). He would free the ports on his router, however there was another firewall/router at Telekom which blocked the port still.
AmiableInferno

Post by AmiableInferno »

I have not been able to set up a session to test with my friend again since I last posted, but based on what I've tested and experienced overall it seems that the UDP port 5029 is not actually being forwarded appropriately even though the configuration is correct on my end.
quad01man

Post by quad01man »

I was looking for a way to use gzdoom with recent mods such as colorful hell. I found that using 'Game connector', NOT 'doom connector' will allow you to more easily set up and play games. I got through with port forwarding, you can load your mods, even save mid game and continue later using the launch paramater -load 'save file'. hope this helps

Return to “Technical Issues”