Black screen Gzdoom

Need help running G/Q/ZDoom/ECWolf/Zandronum/3DGE/EDuke32/Raze? Did your computer break? Ask here.

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Forum rules
Contrary to popular belief, we are not all-knowing-all-seeing magical beings!

If you want help you're going to have to provide lots of info. Like what is your hardware, what is your operating system, what version of GZDoom/LZDoom/whatever you're using, what mods you're loading, how you're loading it, what you've already tried for fixing the problem, and anything else that is even remotely relevant to the problem.

We can't magically figure out what it is if you're going to be vague, and if we feel like you're just wasting our time with guessing games we will act like that's what you're really doing and won't help you.
Kagur

Black screen Gzdoom

Post by Kagur »

Hey guys,
So I downloaded the latest version of Gzdoom and tried running it. I get a black screen with the mouse curson visible, and the music/sound is audible but no visual display can be seen (its all black). I'm wondering whether my system is one of the few that are no longer compatible with the newer updates of Gzdoom.

For reference to my issue, I have uploaded a picture of my laptop specs and the graphic card type I'm using.

https://postimg.cc/image/hsez9cpxn/
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Re: Black screen Gzdoom

Post by wildweasel »

Does Alt+Enter do anything while the game is running?
Kagur

Post by Kagur »

No, the screen remains black.
Rachael
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Rachael »

This looks like an Optimus-enabled laptop from what I can tell in the screen picture.

Check and make sure that your drivers for both the Intel GPU and your nVidia GPU are up to date.

It looks like Dell is no longer supporting this particular laptop model; the latest download is from February 2015, which is 4 months prior to Windows 10's release. Luckily, the graphics drivers from both of the vendors appear relatively newer.

As a note, you may have to remove Dell's Intel HD graphics driver. Intel's own driver may also not work. If this is the case, use system restore to bring back the old drivers.

Intel HD 3000 driver (Windows 7 64-bit)

GeForce GT 525M Driver (Windows 7 64-bit)
Kagur

Post by Kagur »

Thanks Rachael. That resolved the issue. I can now run the latest version of Gzdoom.
Rachael
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Rachael »

You're welcome, thanks for letting us know.

Return to “Technical Issues”