Square Pixel Ratio

Need help running G/Q/ZDoom/ECWolf/Zandronum/3DGE/EDuke32/Raze? Did your computer break? Ask here.

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Forum rules
Contrary to popular belief, we are not all-knowing-all-seeing magical beings!

If you want help you're going to have to provide lots of info. Like what is your hardware, what is your operating system, what version of GZDoom/LZDoom/whatever you're using, what mods you're loading, how you're loading it, what you've already tried for fixing the problem, and anything else that is even remotely relevant to the problem.

We can't magically figure out what it is if you're going to be vague, and if we feel like you're just wasting our time with guessing games we will act like that's what you're really doing and won't help you.
RSSwizard

Square Pixel Ratio

Post by RSSwizard »

Is there any way to get it back?
Some really funky stuff is going on with video modes (as early as v3.25 which im still using) and no matter how I configure the display the pixels are being stretched vertically to match the CRT ratio that they used to have in the 320x200 mode. I remember those days well and I liked the look back then but in the modern era whether playing Quake1 at 512x384 res or playing Zdoom ive gotten used to Square Pixels and I prefer the new look better than the old one. I want crisp clean pixels, without filtering, that are as square as those on my LCD, with every line on the screen being exactly the same number of pixels thick (x2 or x3 scaling).

Technically I want 960x600 resolution with an exact x3 scaling multiplier.
Rachael
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Re: Square Pixel Ratio

Post by Rachael »

Try vid_scalemode "0". If that works, then chances are you enabled the scaling in the custom mode. To disable that, simply use "vid_setscale <x> <y> <linear> <force scaling>" - where you enter 0 for force scaling.
Pixel Eater

Location: In between the Moon and you, between the buried and me.

Re: Square Pixel Ratio

Post by Pixel Eater »

Setting Force Aspect Ratio to 16:10 in the Video Mode menu gets close but only if you're going keyboard only. Once you use mouse look things start to get weird like this. Plus it seems to me that it isn't truly square anyway.

I do have some mods that should help though. Autochthonic Doom will widen the pixels until they're square and BigButts.wad will widen the weapons for Doom as well. For complete accuracy set your FOV to 84.

If your screen is physically 16:9 then it gets hard to gain the correct viewport dimensions without shrinking the statusbar until it's way too small to read, so I made this. Instead of shrinking the HUD it slides it offscreen as if it were inhabiting some virtual screenspace that a 16:10 monitor would offer. Then it rearranges and scales the elements to fit the remaining exposed area. The extra benefit also being that it becomes widescreen too 8-)

Return to “Technical Issues”