GZDoom 3.5.0 Input Lag

Need help running G/Q/ZDoom/ECWolf/Zandronum/3DGE/EDuke32/Raze? Did your computer break? Ask here.

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Forum rules
Contrary to popular belief, we are not all-knowing-all-seeing magical beings!

If you want help you're going to have to provide lots of info. Like what is your hardware, what is your operating system, what version of GZDoom/LZDoom/whatever you're using, what mods you're loading, how you're loading it, what you've already tried for fixing the problem, and anything else that is even remotely relevant to the problem.

We can't magically figure out what it is if you're going to be vague, and if we feel like you're just wasting our time with guessing games we will act like that's what you're really doing and won't help you.
drfrag
Vintage GZDoom Developer

Re: GZDoom 3.5.0 Input Lag

Post by drfrag »

For me there's no lag and this is a 60 Hz panel. I believe there's a compatibility option to run apps disabling DWM.
Have you tried LZDoom in hardware mode? Does it make a difference?
dpJudas

Post by dpJudas »

The DWM disables itself when you run an application full screen. All that is required is that the window covers exactly the dimensions of the screen without window decorations, which GZDoom does in full screen mode. I don't experience any input lag either - in fact, after the rawinput commit I pushed it runs as smooth as I've ever seen.
ReFracture
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by ReFracture »

Welp it's time to eat my words here a bit.

For sanity checking I recreated the scenario on my desktop with an older 60hz panel; you guys are right DWM does indeed shut off, I can easily get vsync off and a nice responsive mouse in the latest GZDoom.

I also went back and did some more specific testing on the laptop with older versions of GZDoom with the original resolution menu and LZDoom.. the exact same problem persists.

The problem on my laptop I think is related to nvidia optimus. It's this obnoxious dual GPU setup where the Intel GPU is the one actually connected to the display and the nvidia GPU is activated on demand and just sent as a framebuffer I think, I don't fully understand it, but the result is the nvidia control panel is pretty bare bones with it. Both it and the Intel control panel have options for forcing, disabling, or allowing application control of vsync. Forcing it on caps the frame rate at 60, but forcing it off still doesn't allow tearing or improve the input lag.

I was wondering if there was a way to just force the game to use the intel GPU, but no matter what i've tried so far (Notebook Switchable GPU option in any of the states and forcing integrated with the nvidia control panel) result in it using that, with GL_VENDOR always showing the nvidia GPU.

I'm not sure what else to do but the issue I think has at least been narrowed down to this crappy dual gpu setup that has given me so many problems since I bought this damn thing (makes linux a living nightmare) so.. disregard this issue I guess.
Warrex

Post by Warrex »

Sorry for the bump but this is somewhat related:

Can anyone tell me how the Windows version and the macOS version differ concerning input? The macOS version feels laggier despite VSync off and a constant 60fps. Does GZDoom on Mac use SDL? Windows ports who do always felt laggy to me but I do not know if SDL really is the culprit.
_mental_

Post by _mental_ »

Warrex wrote:Can anyone tell me how the Windows version and the macOS version differ concerning input?
Of course, input implementations are completely different. There is no DirectInput or WinAPI on macOS. There is no Cocoa on Windows.
There are noticeable differences in mouse handling inside operating systems themselves.
Moreover, GZDoom has three independent mouse input implementations on Windows.
Warrex wrote:Does GZDoom on Mac use SDL?
No, it doesn't. It is possible to build Mac version with SDL2 backend, although such version was never released.

Return to “Technical Issues”