GZDOOM 3.5.0 Modern - Slight Slowdown

Need help running G/Q/ZDoom/ECWolf/Zandronum/3DGE/EDuke32/Raze? Did your computer break? Ask here.

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Forum rules
Contrary to popular belief, we are not all-knowing-all-seeing magical beings!

If you want help you're going to have to provide lots of info. Like what is your hardware, what is your operating system, what version of GZDoom/LZDoom/whatever you're using, what mods you're loading, how you're loading it, what you've already tried for fixing the problem, and anything else that is even remotely relevant to the problem.

We can't magically figure out what it is if you're going to be vague, and if we feel like you're just wasting our time with guessing games we will act like that's what you're really doing and won't help you.
Thenuke

GZDOOM 3.5.0 Modern - Slight Slowdown

Post by Thenuke »

Hi,
:D

I suffer from slowndown using GZDOOM 3.5.0. Modern Edition. My PC is old but I still could play using the previous versions without any slowdown.

Here are my specs :
  • Operating System: Windows 10 Family 64-bit (10.0, Build 17134) (17134.rs4_release.180410-1804)
  • Language: French (Regional Setting: French)
  • System Manufacturer: Acer
  • System Model: Aspire X1920
  • BIOS: Default System BIOS (type: BIOS)
  • Processor: Pentium(R) Dual-Core CPU E6700 @ 3.20GHz (2 CPUs), ~3.2GHz
  • Memory: 4096MB RAM
  • Available OS Memory: 4096MB RAM
  • Renderer: Nvidia Geforce 510
  • DirectX Version: DirectX 12
My OpenGL version is 4.4 according to OpenGL Extensions Viewer 4.1.

The slowdown is slight, I tried to turn off several options in lights, renderer and OpenGL menus but nothing happened until I decreased the scale factor.

I experience no slowndown on Vintage version.

I know this version was created for older hardware but given the fact that I don't actually have OpenGl 2, I thought I should report it.
:roll:

Sorry for wasting your time, I just wanted to help. Have a nice day.
:P
Sumwunn

Re: GZDOOM 3.5.0 Modern - Slight Slowdown

Post by Sumwunn »

Did you have gl_renderbuffers turned off?

The setting become enforced as of v3.5.0.
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

The renderbuffer indirection is a very likely cause on such a low end card. There even that one buffer copy will have an effect. But this was an unavoidable change because a few features required quite a bit of overhead to be rendered to the actual screen buffer (e.g. the inverse invulnerability colormap. This is a lot easier to do and far more robust as a postprocessing effect.)

Always keep in mind that I use a Geforce 1060 for development. That card has approx. 20x the graphics processing power of the Geforce 510.
Thenuke

Post by Thenuke »

Graf Zahl wrote:Always keep in mind that I use a Geforce 1060 for development. That card has approx. 20x the graphics processing power of the Geforce 510.
Yeah, I know my PC sucks, I will buy a new one when I get the money. :thumb:
Sumwunn wrote:Did you have gl_renderbuffers turned off?

The setting become enforced as of v3.5.0.
I turned it off in the .ini file, nothing happened.
:shrug:
Rachael
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Rachael »

You'll have to either use the resolution scaling (at least down to 0.5 scalefactor, which for higher resolution displays should be barely noticeable), or use a vintage build of GZDoom.
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

Thenuke wrote: I turned it off in the .ini file, nothing happened.
:shrug:
That setting no longer exists. 3.5.0 always uses render buffers. In your case by recommendation would be to use the vintage build if it really speeds things up. But keep in mind that the main reason for the split was an optimization that should provide some performance gains on larger levels even on your graphics card. You'll have to see what will be the best approach here, but overall what happened is pretty much unavoidable: We tried to make the game run better on hardware as it is sold and mostly in use today and it worked great for that. But on older and less powerful hardware that added processing that helps speed things up on modern hardware will have the opposite effect on older systems.
Thenuke

Post by Thenuke »

Decreasing the scale factor to 0.5 seems to work and the difference is indeed barely noticeable. I'll use that. If I can't run future versions, I'll use the Vintage Build.

Thanks for your replies, have a nice day.
:)

Return to “Technical Issues”