multiplayer between Linux and Windows

Need help running G/Q/ZDoom/ECWolf/Zandronum/3DGE/EDuke32/Raze? Did your computer break? Ask here.

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Forum rules
Contrary to popular belief, we are not all-knowing-all-seeing magical beings!

If you want help you're going to have to provide lots of info. Like what is your hardware, what is your operating system, what version of GZDoom/LZDoom/whatever you're using, what mods you're loading, how you're loading it, what you've already tried for fixing the problem, and anything else that is even remotely relevant to the problem.

We can't magically figure out what it is if you're going to be vague, and if we feel like you're just wasting our time with guessing games we will act like that's what you're really doing and won't help you.

multiplayer between Linux and Windows

Post by Guest »

Hi,

I can play a multiplayer game with gzdoom-3.4.1 between 3 Windows (with -netmode 1),
but I cannot play from my Linux (same gzdoom version) with the other Windows machines.
The observed behaviour is:
- the Linux client wait for connection
- the Windows server sees the Linux client connected

Is it a known issue?
If not, what do you suggest as troubleshoot/debug tip?

Thank you
Rachael
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Re: multiplayer between Linux and Windows

Post by Rachael »

This sounds like a firewall issue.

In order for GZDoom multiplayer to work, both machines need unfiltered access to each other on specific ports, and able to contact each other directly. It sounds like the Windows machines are sufficiently exposed to the Linux machine, but not the other way around.

Unfortunately, I don't have a lot of experience with iptables or any of that fuckery so I don't really know what you need to do here. Have you tried hosting with the Linux machine, itself?
Caligari87
Admin
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Re: multiplayer between Linux and Windows

Post by Caligari87 »

I've played successfully (both hosting and joining) from a Linux system with people who I'm pretty sure are on Windows (though I have not asked).

The main barrier seems to be port forwarding on the router, since most home routers are configured to be at least marginally secure. I think GZDoom uses port 5029? Basically the idea is that you have to set your modem/router up to send traffic through to your specific PC when it gets traffic on that port. It's thus also a good idea to map the internal IP address to your PC from your on your router so your PC is always "in the same place" and you don't have to remap the port forwarding every time.

Look up "DHCP registration" and "port forwarding" for your specific router/modem.

8-)

Return to “Technical Issues”