input errors render the game near-unplayable

Need help running G/Q/ZDoom/ECWolf/Zandronum/3DGE? Did your computer break? Ask here.

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

input errors render the game near-unplayable

Postby geuchemain » Sat Jul 21, 2018 7:38 pm

I have been experiencing a number of inconsistent errors for a while now. For some time, there would be a bug where if i would alt+tab back into the program, it would input next weapon, i would start jumping nonstop and firing. this would end if i simply paused the game immediately after tabbing in, so it wasn't too inconvenient. Then, i would have menu errors: i would try to select a savegame but it would always default back to the first listed save within a second. sometimes, it would automatically select whatever i was hovered over, and when i entered the game i would be constantly scrolling through weapons, being unplayable. that then stopped, but now i have problems where i cannot quicksave due to the menu being cancelled out immediately and it switches between walking and running without use of the cl_run command. i have tried updating the game and messing with the norawinput setting but none of these things have helped. i would like to be able to play doom and this is making it quite difficult.
geuchemain

Re: input errors render the game near-unplayable

Postby wildweasel » Sat Jul 21, 2018 8:09 pm

This sounds like a problem with whatever your input device is, or something that manages your keyboard layout. What are your computer specs, including your operating system and model of keyboard/mouse?
wildweasel
「お前はもうトースト」[you are already toast.]
Moderator Team Lead

Postby Reginald Pevingnudge » Sat Jul 21, 2018 10:52 pm

uhh im on windows 10, my keyboard is a microsoft wireless comfort keyboard 5000 model number 1394, my mouse is a dell usb MS116t. i have never had these type of errors with any other game

i should point out that my doom install directory is ooooold. i mean, as old as this computer (2 years) so not that old but i dont know. might be relevant. that said i have updated when applicable
Reginald Pevingnudge

Postby wildweasel » Sat Jul 21, 2018 11:43 pm

What version of GZDoom? Are the batteries in your keyboard fresh?
wildweasel
「お前はもうトースト」[you are already toast.]
Moderator Team Lead

Postby GFD » Sun Jul 22, 2018 11:01 am

You could also try disabling controller support. I've had issues before with problematic joystick drivers messing around with inputs in GZDoom.
GFD
My brain's probably worth a lot of money!

Postby William Brookbanks » Sun Jul 22, 2018 12:10 pm

version 3.4.1, batteries fresh

the controller support bugging out sounds like its probably correct. thanks
William Brookbanks

Return to Technical Issues