GZDoom 3.4.0 and ZDL acting quirky

Need help running G/Q/ZDoom/ECWolf/Zandronum/3DGE/EDuke32/Raze? Did your computer break? Ask here.

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Forum rules
Contrary to popular belief, we are not all-knowing-all-seeing magical beings!

If you want help you're going to have to provide lots of info. Like what is your hardware, what is your operating system, what version of GZDoom/LZDoom/whatever you're using, what mods you're loading, how you're loading it, what you've already tried for fixing the problem, and anything else that is even remotely relevant to the problem.

We can't magically figure out what it is if you're going to be vague, and if we feel like you're just wasting our time with guessing games we will act like that's what you're really doing and won't help you.
vAethor

GZDoom 3.4.0 and ZDL acting quirky

Post by vAethor »

I just downloaded the latest build of GZDoom last night and set it up in ZDL, hoping I could do exactly what I did in version 3.1.0 and load multiple wads. But when I went to run Doom 2 with the new GZDoom set up and all the wads I wanted, it refused to run and was asking me to select a source port, as if GZDoom 3.4.0 wasn't even there. It just wouldn't work.

But then just now after I got home from work I opened ZDL again, and my GZDoom preset was completely absent. I set up the new version again with ZDL trying to recreate the problem so I could describe it here, but then it suddenly started working.

Any idea what's going on? Are there known compatibility issues between the latest GZDoom builds and older launcher software like ZDL?
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Re: GZDoom 3.4.0 and ZDL acting quirky

Post by wildweasel »

Did you make sure all the configuration was still correct, i.e. that you hadn't moved or deleted your GZDoom install without pointing ZDL towards a different one, etc?
vAethor

Re: GZDoom 3.4.0 and ZDL acting quirky

Post by vAethor »

Hmm, well I do have a practice of moving all my iwads to the new GZDoom directory when a new one comes out, since I have all four (Doom, Doom II, Chex Quest and TNT Evilution) and having them in every folder could take up a lot of file space.

But then again, don't the newer builds automatically check your Steam folder for Doom wads? I also have the BFG versions of Doom 1 and 2 that came with Doom 3. But let me close and open ZDL again. I may have made a mistake last night.

I just looked. Yes, at least currently I have my GZDoom entry pointed to the latest version. I ran it again and it seems to be working.

Return to “Technical Issues”