[Workaround avail] renderstyle NONE freezes GZDoom

Bugs that have been investigated and resolved somehow.

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Forum rules
Please don't bump threads here if you have a problem - it will often be forgotten about if you do. Instead, make a new thread here.
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Re: renderstyle NONE freezes GZDoom

Post by Graf Zahl »

This sounds more and more like a hardware problem. Didn't Rachael recently post something about Intel drivers just stopping to work when the GPU gets too hot?
You may want to check your system for dust obstructing the airflow.
gwHero
Graphics Processor: Intel with Vulkan/Metal Support

Post by gwHero »

I already did, but that doesn't seem to be the issue (the laptop is 5 months old). Also, without hiding the player/weapon sprite, I can play the wads for hours, without even hearing the fans blowing. I'll keep an eye on the DELL / intel websites if they perhaps release a new driver, because I still find it very suspect that this occurs since the spring creator's update.
_mental_

Post by _mental_ »

@gwHero, do you have VSync enabled? Or maybe capped framerate (cl_capfps CVAR, it's called Rendering Interpolation in the menu)?
Both are disabled by default, so refresh rate is limited to 200 FPS which can be enough to overheat integrated Intel GPU without proper cooling.
Hard to say why it's related to a render style though. It could be more than one problem, like broken drivers + GPU overheat.
gwHero
Graphics Processor: Intel with Vulkan/Metal Support

Post by gwHero »

Yes I have VSYNC on, for the sake of my eyes (can't stand it when it's off :))

But I did a lot of testing with VSYNC on and off as well, and it didn't make any difference. The only really weird constant is that the issue never occurs (up till now at least) when I don't hide the player/weapon sprites.

EDIT:
And, second weird thing, I think I mentioned it before, it only occurs when the player is hidden, AND there are other actors present in the map, but only if at least one of them is hidden from view. Also in the demowad I included, it does not occur before the player and one of the other actors cannot see each other (because of blocking geometry).

Return to “Closed Bugs [GZDoom]”