Enabling triple buffering and vsync crashes the game

Need help running G/Q/ZDoom/ECWolf/Zandronum/3DGE/EDuke32/Raze? Did your computer break? Ask here.

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Forum rules
Contrary to popular belief, we are not all-knowing-all-seeing magical beings!

If you want help you're going to have to provide lots of info. Like what is your hardware, what is your operating system, what version of GZDoom/LZDoom/whatever you're using, what mods you're loading, how you're loading it, what you've already tried for fixing the problem, and anything else that is even remotely relevant to the problem.

We can't magically figure out what it is if you're going to be vague, and if we feel like you're just wasting our time with guessing games we will act like that's what you're really doing and won't help you.
Blunderboss

Enabling triple buffering and vsync crashes the game

Post by Blunderboss »

If i force triple buffering in my video driver settings and turn vsync on in game it i will hang and stop responding.

Not enabling triple buffering causes vsync to simply not work at all. I knew this was always the case (at least for me) but last month i tried it with forced triple buffering in the drivers and it worked.

Now, today i finally upgraded windows to the april's update. And AMD also released a new driver for it just today. So chances are one of these might have messed up, but i dont know for sure. Maybe someone else with an AMD card can check if the same happens to them?
Last edited by Blunderboss on Sun Jun 03, 2018 9:25 am, edited 2 times in total.
Blunderboss

Re: Enabling triple buffering and vsync crashes the game

Post by Blunderboss »

So this may just be an issue with AMD drivers. Today after seeing a similar issue in another Opengl game (starbound) i decided to try and force vsync to 'always on' in the drivers together with triple buffering, and the game launched and worked just fine. For some reason the 'off, unless otherwise' setting just isnt enough for opengl games.

Return to “Technical Issues”