Nvidia 3d vision no longer working?

Need help running G/Q/ZDoom/ECWolf/Zandronum/3DGE/EDuke32/Raze? Did your computer break? Ask here.

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Forum rules
Contrary to popular belief, we are not all-knowing-all-seeing magical beings!

If you want help you're going to have to provide lots of info. Like what is your hardware, what is your operating system, what version of GZDoom/LZDoom/whatever you're using, what mods you're loading, how you're loading it, what you've already tried for fixing the problem, and anything else that is even remotely relevant to the problem.

We can't magically figure out what it is if you're going to be vague, and if we feel like you're just wasting our time with guessing games we will act like that's what you're really doing and won't help you.

Nvidia 3d vision no longer working?

Post by Guest »

So a few months ago, Nvidia announced that it was ending support for "select quad-buffered stereo features". I am not sure if gzdoom was affected - I have been using it for a while (in 3d) and everything worked fine up until I updated my drivers recently to 397.64. Now gzdoom does not trigger 3d vision at all;

My question is - are any of you 3d vision users? Am I forgetting some simple setting, or did Nvidia really screw us over and remove support for gzdoom's use of quad-buffered 3d?
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Re: Nvidia 3d vision no longer working?

Post by Graf Zahl »

Beatrice Piddlehood wrote:My question is - are any of you 3d vision users?
That's actually a good question. We have no numbers whatsoever about people using the 3D VR stuff at all. I guess it's more or less a specialty feature and due to the low number of users having any gear to make use of it I sometimes question its usefulness.
Rachael
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Rachael »

Considering the hardware for it is extremely expensive, and actual usage of it is reportedly extremely discomforting, I am not surprised that numbers for it are so low.
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

I also mean the other VR modes. I guess with the next survey I'll also add a check for this setting.
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

If you do that, it would be better to check for its presence rather than its value at startup; main reason I say that is because it's one of those things that tend to change a lot more often even in a single play session than whether the computer is 32-bit or 64-bit. Having been "encouraged" by my ex-girlfriend to play games in 3D mode with her, I can tell you it's not one of those things you leave on 24/7.
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

Most of the modes are software-driven so how would I check hardware support? I'd really be interested if this gets used at all. I know I never did.
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

That is a good question - and exposes the folly in my statement (sorry about that) - because a mundane pair of anaglyph blue/red goggles count as sufficient hardware for this, despite having no electrical components in it at all, and that is not something that is added to the device manager at all.

The only way I can think of is something that makes me cringe to suggest and I think you know why - but that would be having a read-only CVAR that flips to whatever the last value vr_mode was before it was 0.
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

That's the same idea I had...
GFD
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Post by GFD »

I use 3D Vision whenever playing GZDoom stuff for fun now (despite several shortcomings in how GZDoom currently does 3D). I have been meaning to check if it still works after all these graphics code changes, but have not had the time to test it myself yet.
biospud

Post by biospud »

Beatrice Piddlehood wrote:So a few months ago, Nvidia announced that it was ending support for "select quad-buffered stereo features". I am not sure if gzdoom was affected - I have been using it for a while (in 3d) and everything worked fine up until I updated my drivers recently to 397.64. Now gzdoom does not trigger 3d vision at all;

My question is - are any of you 3d vision users? Am I forgetting some simple setting, or did Nvidia really screw us over and remove support for gzdoom's use of quad-buffered 3d?
It's still working for me with driver version 397.31.

Does the 3D vision test application work for you?

Is your monitor refresh rate set to 120 Hz?

Did you set gzdoom to launch in true full screen mode, with resolution set to your monitor resolution (probably 1920x1080)?

Did you set Options->Display Options->Opengl renderer->Enable Quad stereo->ON, then restart gzdoom?
tim_shackleford

Post by tim_shackleford »

Rachael wrote:Considering the hardware for it is extremely expensive, and actual usage of it is reportedly extremely discomforting, I am not surprised that numbers for it are so low.
I got my vg248qe monitor for 78 bucks at a best buy sale, and the 3d vision glasses for 25 on ebay... This setup is not expensive, and works really well! Nearly all of my games work due to helixmod, and I actually beat doom via gzdoom in 3d a few months ago. It is too bad 3d is now broken.
tim_shackleford

biospud wrote:
Beatrice Piddlehood wrote:So a few months ago, Nvidia announced that it was ending support for "select quad-buffered stereo features". I am not sure if gzdoom was affected - I have been using it for a while (in 3d) and everything worked fine up until I updated my drivers recently to 397.64. Now gzdoom does not trigger 3d vision at all;

It's still working for me with driver version 397.31.

Does the 3D vision test application work for you?

Is your monitor refresh rate set to 120 Hz?

Did you set gzdoom to launch in true full screen mode, with resolution set to your monitor resolution (probably 1920x1080)?

Did you set Options->Display Options->Opengl renderer->Enable Quad stereo->ON, then restart gzdoom?
Hi, I am glad someone else could test it!

1. Is it working for you in game? For me it triggers the 3d vision module, but everything remains in 2d even when changing to the "quad-buffered" setting (I am on Windows 10 1803, with Nvidia's 397.64 driver).

2. My 3D vision test application works, and I am currently playing metroid prime 2 in 3d just fine.

3. My monitor is set to 120hz

4. I have actually beaten multiple doom wads in the past, and have everything setup the way it used to be. True fullscreen, 1080p, 3d setting on, and have quad buffered 3d selected. Yet it remains in 2d even though the 3d vision module is triggered.

I am really hoping that we can find some way around this as doom is amazing with 3d vision! If I have enough time, I might try and install Windows 7 on a different partition and see if I can get things working again.
GFD
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Post by GFD »

tim_shackleford wrote:1. Is it working for you in game? For me it triggers the 3d vision module, but everything remains in 2d even when changing to the "quad-buffered" setting (I am on Windows 10 1803, with Nvidia's 397.64 driver).
In my experience, it's very finicky and/or random whether or not GZDoom successfully pushes stereoscopic graphics to the display, despite triggering the module. If it doesn't work at first, I kind of mess around reconnecting my monitor or rebooting my PC until it starts working. I have no idea why this is. It seems worse with GZDoom than other applications, but I do have trouble with stereoscopy elsewhere too sometimes, and the seemingly random nature of this makes it hard to distill into something useful for the developers to look at.
tim_shackleford

GFD wrote:
tim_shackleford wrote:1. Is it working for you in game? For me it triggers the 3d vision module, but everything remains in 2d even when changing to the "quad-buffered" setting (I am on Windows 10 1803, with Nvidia's 397.64 driver).
In my experience, it's very finicky and/or random whether or not GZDoom successfully pushes stereoscopic graphics to the display, despite triggering the module. If it doesn't work at first, I kind of mess around reconnecting my monitor or rebooting my PC until it starts working. I have no idea why this is. It seems worse with GZDoom than other applications, but I do have trouble with stereoscopy elsewhere too sometimes, and the seemingly random nature of this makes it hard to distill into something useful for the developers to look at.
That's the thing though, it used to work consistently a few months ago when I was using older drivers / and older build of windows 10. Now it never works at all no matter how many times I try - either windows broke something, or quad buffered 3d is no longer supported by nvidia:

http://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/answers/ ... o-features

Return to “Technical Issues”