GZDoom taking forever to load! HELP!

Need help running G/Q/ZDoom/ECWolf/Zandronum/3DGE/EDuke32/Raze? Did your computer break? Ask here.

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Forum rules
Contrary to popular belief, we are not all-knowing-all-seeing magical beings!

If you want help you're going to have to provide lots of info. Like what is your hardware, what is your operating system, what version of GZDoom/LZDoom/whatever you're using, what mods you're loading, how you're loading it, what you've already tried for fixing the problem, and anything else that is even remotely relevant to the problem.

We can't magically figure out what it is if you're going to be vague, and if we feel like you're just wasting our time with guessing games we will act like that's what you're really doing and won't help you.
Sacto17pete

Re: GZDoom taking forever to load! HELP!

Post by Sacto17pete »

drfrag wrote:Which windows version? It's not fragmentation, a fragmented hard drive cannot cause a five minutes delay. Windows XP never defragmented automatically, on windows 7 SP1 there was a bug and the task was not executed. Also if there's a power failure in the middle of a maintenance operation you can lose all the data on your hard drive at least on Windows 7. Sure, there are data recovery tools.
You should check your drive smart parameters with smartmontools first, if your disk is failing you'll probably kill it trying to defragment. But this looks like a malware or antivirus problem.
I'm using Windows 10. Thankfully, I haven't had any power failure, at least that I'm aware of. Strangely enough, GZdoom is loading WADS normally (quickly) again. But I am having problems with my AMD Settings (Radon) as it won't load. I click on the program and it is unresponsive. I did recently uninstall and re-install the driver from the AMD website. However, as I have stated before, I don't know what the hell I'm doing. haha
Last edited by Sacto17pete on Tue May 08, 2018 12:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.
drfrag
Vintage GZDoom Developer

Post by drfrag »

Check your smart parameters first and then install malwarebytes antimalware.
Sacto17pete

Post by Sacto17pete »

ok
Sacto17pete

Post by Sacto17pete »

drfrag wrote:Check your smart parameters first and then install malwarebytes antimalware.
I will look into this when I get home.. Hopefully google will explain all
Rachael
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Rachael »

Between Smartmontools and CrystalDiskInfo, I like CrystalDiskInfo better, it has a lot easier interface, the reason I didn't recommend it first was because I was a bit confused by the license. But the "Standard Version" is freeware and Open Source with an MIT (very open) license, so that's good in my eyes. There's also no nagware to upgrade to the other versions.
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

As far as programs that can cause long delays: it could also be entirely possible that it's an overprotective virus scanner's On Access Scan. When I used to have Avast installed, running any install program larger than 300 MB would sometimes take long enough to access (and scan) that it'd halt the system. I don't think that this specific thing is what's causing your delays, but I can't help but wonder what'd happen if you disabled the shields briefly when you launch the game.
Sacto17pete

Post by Sacto17pete »

wildweasel wrote:As far as programs that can cause long delays: it could also be entirely possible that it's an overprotective virus scanner's On Access Scan. When I used to have Avast installed, running any install program larger than 300 MB would sometimes take long enough to access (and scan) that it'd halt the system. I don't think that this specific thing is what's causing your delays, but I can't help but wonder what'd happen if you disabled the shields briefly when you launch the game.
It seems to be working fine now, not sure what happened. Now, I'm just trying to figure out why I can't open my AMD/Radon Settings for my graphics card. I click on the program and it is unresponsive.
R4L
Global Moderator
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 11 Pro
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by R4L »

For a defrag I'd also recommend Ultra Defrag. It does its thing on boot up so it's fairly quick.

Return to “Technical Issues”