Timidity++ issues

Need help running G/Q/ZDoom/ECWolf/Zandronum/3DGE/EDuke32/Raze? Did your computer break? Ask here.

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Forum rules
Contrary to popular belief, we are not all-knowing-all-seeing magical beings!

If you want help you're going to have to provide lots of info. Like what is your hardware, what is your operating system, what version of GZDoom/LZDoom/whatever you're using, what mods you're loading, how you're loading it, what you've already tried for fixing the problem, and anything else that is even remotely relevant to the problem.

We can't magically figure out what it is if you're going to be vague, and if we feel like you're just wasting our time with guessing games we will act like that's what you're really doing and won't help you.
ksio89

Timidity++ issues

Post by ksio89 »

Thanks for the release. However, I wonder what's happening to TiMidity++, because it's sounding worse by each new build. Now the music sounds higher pitched when synthesized by TiMidity++ than it was on older builds, and I'm using the same soundfont (Patch93's SC-55 v22 soundfont). With CoolSoft's VirtualMIDISynth configured as GZDoom MIDI synth, music sounds amazing, as TiMIDIty++ used to do up until 3.2.3 or 3.2.4 build, before it started sounding flat. I know I can just choose to load music files pack as IWADs and play them with OpenAL, but it's just easier to set up a soundfont and a MIDI synth, as it works for all games. Thanks anyway.
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Re: GZDoom 3.3.2 released

Post by Graf Zahl »

With 3.3.0 Timidity++ was changed to an internal synth. This was accompanied by some significant changes to how it uses soundfont configs. Are you sure it actually uses what you want it to use?
Of the soundfonts I have tried so far I could not detect any significant differences. Another cause for a 'flat' appearance may be a different sound volume. The external Timidity++ has always been extremely loud, - to the point that a master sound level override had to be implemented. The new internal one is roughly at the same volume level as the other MIDI synths. So if you did not tone down the value with that master level CVAR I'd not be surprised that you perceive it as 'flat'. The change was necessary so that average sound volume across different music types and MIDI synths does not diverge too much.
ksio89

Post by ksio89 »

No,when I mean Timidity++ sounds flatter than it was, I mean it sounds less full, not in volume. It has way less reverb, instruments sound really thin, and some instruments are almost inaudible. Actually, Microsoft Wavetable GM Synthesizer now sounds way better than Timidity++. And yes, I edited the timidity.cfg pointing to the location of my soundfont, I don't know if since 3.3.0, it ignores external soundfonts. Well, as long as I have VirtualMIDISynth, this isn't issue, just don't like needing an external application to have MIDI music sound great.
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

In that case the obvious answer is that you must use different settings then. The defaults of the internal synth actually do not activate reverb, unlike for the external version. Most users do not like reverb so the default was chosen to make it easier for them to get the preferred output.
Korell

Post by Korell »

ksio89 wrote:And yes, I edited the timidity.cfg pointing to the location of my soundfont
What timidity.cfg file? Since it got integrated into GZDoom the settings for Timidity are all within the gzdoom.ini file. For instance:
Spoiler:
There's no need for external files for Timidity now.

Return to “Technical Issues”