Black squares on wall after shooting on it

Need help running G/Q/ZDoom/ECWolf/Zandronum/3DGE/EDuke32/Raze? Did your computer break? Ask here.

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Forum rules
Contrary to popular belief, we are not all-knowing-all-seeing magical beings!

If you want help you're going to have to provide lots of info. Like what is your hardware, what is your operating system, what version of GZDoom/LZDoom/whatever you're using, what mods you're loading, how you're loading it, what you've already tried for fixing the problem, and anything else that is even remotely relevant to the problem.

We can't magically figure out what it is if you're going to be vague, and if we feel like you're just wasting our time with guessing games we will act like that's what you're really doing and won't help you.
JDN

Black squares on wall after shooting on it

Post by JDN »

As said in the title, with some WADS (like brutal doom V21, Hunter's Moon and others) I got a big black squares that apear just where I shoot.
Can be on a wall, floor or ceiling...
It does the same wih blood or footprints....
I tried many option change but didn't manage to get rid of that.
Anybody can help me with this ?
Thanks

I am using GZDOOM 3.2.5...
Attachments
Screenshot_Doom_20180308_224215.png
Screenshot_Doom_20180308_224215.png (218.48 KiB) Viewed 1644 times
BD.jpg
BD.jpg (88.39 KiB) Viewed 1644 times
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Re: Black squares on wall after shooting on it

Post by Graf Zahl »

What's your graphics hardware?
JDN

Post by JDN »

NVIDIA Geforce GT120.

is that what you're asking me ? :?
Gez

Post by Gez »

Looks like the drivers for that were last updated in 2016.
drfrag
Vintage GZDoom Developer

Post by drfrag »

That thing has OpenGL 3.0 support so i guess GZDoom is using the legacy render path which has certain known limitations. You could try enabling 'gl_riskymodernpath'.
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

Looking at NVidia's specs pages there seem to be lots of errors for old hardware from pre-GL 4.0 times. NVidia has been supporting OpenGL 3.3 since the Geforce 8xxx series - even on the lowest end models - and it would be very unusual for anything newer to have worse support.

So my advice is first to check which OpenGL version gets reported in the console and which driver version. If the GL version is anything lower than OpenGL 3.3 I'd say it is very likely that the driver is old and obsolete. (The card itself most definitely is, but that's not the point here.)

The bug looks like poorly prepared graphics that are incompatible with the legacy render path.
JDN

Post by JDN »

Thanks everyone for answering me !

But all this "hardware talking" doesn't mean a thing for me... I'm a little noob concerning this subject... :?
The fact is my computer is quite .... obsolete; it's still on Vista... :3:

It"s not a big deal after all, I'll play like that; the problem is only on few WAD I have... And I have much than 300 so....

But thanks for helping...
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

The reason why this problem is only in a few WADs is because it depends on a very specific type of image data, which the OpenGL 2 renderer cannot handle. More modern versions of OpenGL have no problem with it and apparently the makers of these mods have never tested it.

But Vista or not, your graphics card can do better, if you installed a more recent driver version for it.
JDN

Post by JDN »

OK I'll try updating , my, hum, driver... (god, I don't even know what I'm talking about hehe :lol: )
I'm just a little afraid of everything about drivers... I remember screwing my computer years ago trying things with drivers... BSOD etc...
it's a newbie fear maybe. :3:
Spoiler:
Rachael
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Rachael »

I know upgrading drivers is scary - it's scary even for computer technicians who are afraid of losing an entire day restoring a bricked system. But it's a necessary evil and sometimes it just has to be done. Obviously it has to be done, in your case, here.

But the fact is, most of the time if done properly, driver upgrades are safe and things will be just fine. It's very rare that anything beyond a slightly better functioning system happens.
JDN

Post by JDN »

I don't want or know how to "restore a bricked system", so I'm going to act like a coward ! :D :D
"don't touch anything, it can be worse"

but thanks for your advices, I keep them in mind in case this problem will one day apear everywhere in my WADS.
Attachments
index.jpg
index.jpg (7.3 KiB) Viewed 1429 times
Gez

Post by Gez »

So, Geforce GT120 for Windows Vista in French?

http://www.nvidia.fr/download/driverRes ... /112611/fr for Vista 32-bit
http://www.nvidia.fr/download/driverRes ... /112629/fr for Vista 64-bit

Download the appropriate driver for your system (if you don't know if you're on 32 or 64 bit, open the file explorer with Windows key + E, right-click on "Ordinateur", select "Propriétés", and you'll get a window telling you that) and then install it. Don't worry -- these drivers are a bit old now, which means that they've been around for a long while. If they caused any danger, people would have noticed and they would have been updated or retired.
JDN

Post by JDN »

And..... It works !
No more horible black squares everywhere.
Thank you very much for your quick and accurate help.
Attachments
TU.jpg

Return to “Technical Issues”