Mesa on Windows 7 Error

Need help running G/Q/ZDoom/ECWolf/Zandronum/3DGE/EDuke32/Raze? Did your computer break? Ask here.

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Forum rules
Contrary to popular belief, we are not all-knowing-all-seeing magical beings!

If you want help you're going to have to provide lots of info. Like what is your hardware, what is your operating system, what version of GZDoom/LZDoom/whatever you're using, what mods you're loading, how you're loading it, what you've already tried for fixing the problem, and anything else that is even remotely relevant to the problem.

We can't magically figure out what it is if you're going to be vague, and if we feel like you're just wasting our time with guessing games we will act like that's what you're really doing and won't help you.
DanTheHedgefox

Mesa on Windows 7 Error

Post by DanTheHedgefox »

Hey, um, there was a topic that seemed similar to this but I'm on Windows not Linux. I'm trying to run opengl mode through Mesa and... it launches fine but then the screen is smooshed up in the upper right corner and really lagy. Graf Zahl said on that topic to "start GZDoom with '-glversion 2'" but I don't know what that means and google turned up nothing. If anyone wants to know what topic I'm talking about it's called "[MOSTLY SOLVED] OpenGL No Fullscreen & Lag on Linux", and please if anyone knows what to do please tell me. Thank you.
Rachael
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Re: Mesa on Windows 7 Error

Post by Rachael »

This is not GZDoom.

Nevertheless, I moved this to technical issues.

Mesa for Windows is not officially supported by the GZDoom team, nor will any alternative API's. We may try and help you to get it working but it is not our focus or our goal - the application is being developed for real GPU's backed by real drivers, as is what happens in Linux even when using Mesa.
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

Mesa on Windows most likely means 'software emulated OpenGL'. I got it running once, but it was slow and unreliable. Why are you trying to do this, anyway? There's drivers for all currently supported hardware available.
DanTheHedgefox

Post by DanTheHedgefox »

Because my computer is old and I don't have money for a new one. Anyway your right, messing with the ini file fixed the size, but it was slow and choppy. Thanks anyway, guess I'll just have to play software mode.
drfrag
Vintage GZDoom Developer

Post by drfrag »

Well, i'm pretty much in the same situation (as always) but i was lucky and was gifted with a Core2 Duo and an ATI HD4650 card. I've got a 8600GT i want to repair BTW. Believe or not i'm still using a CRT. For testing i sometimes use the Mesa driver.
Setting gl_renderbuffers to false makes it work but it's extremely slow, however with -glversion 2 it's playable @640 with half-decent cpus. With the old renderer is playable even with GL3 shaders. Well on a 10 year old machine it's almost playable so it's not that bad. Since intel supports 320 natively it has to be playable at that resolution but of course it will suck a bit. :)
You may want to try ZDoom LE (it's for ancient hardware) since it requires only GL 1.2.
I know there are people out there who can't afford a new computer (specially in certain countries) that's why i want to fix the 3d floors in TC mode in ZDoom32 but i can't do it myself. :(

Return to “Technical Issues”