GZDoom 3.2.3 Zip archive won't extract

Need help running G/Q/ZDoom/ECWolf/Zandronum/3DGE? Did your computer break? Ask here.

Moderator: Developers

GZDoom 3.2.3 Zip archive won't extract

Postby Nino » Mon Dec 11, 2017 8:52 pm

Hi there. First post ever (wow).

I come seeking help. Trying to get the latest GZDoom on my new laptop, v3.2.3 for Win10 x64. Problem is, after I DL the .zip file, I can't extract the files to any folder. Have tried on 2 computers, both very new and fast, and not suffering from any other problems or system corruption (sfc/chkdsk confirms). The same thing happens on both machines, leading me to suspect a corrupted .zip archive. This is what goes down:

-Using Win10's built-in extraction, everything will extract except gzdoom.sf2 and libfluidsynth64.dll, which give error 0x80004005 (unspecified error). I tried a bunch of supposed fixes after googling the error code, to no avail.
-Using 7zip, which I expected to work, actually none of the files will extract, and they all give the same error: "Access denied."

Can anybody help me out with this? I'm usually pretty good with tech stuff, and it's frustrating. Cheers!
Nino

Discord: 5308

Re: GZDoom 3.2.3 Zip archive won't extract

Postby Rachael » Mon Dec 11, 2017 9:55 pm

Windows Explorer's zip shell extension is bugged - the zips are standard and not corrupted in any way and you're not the first to report this issue.

7-zip's interface is not exactly intuitive, but there's 2 ways around it:

One way is to extract to a folder on your desktop, then use Windows Explorer to move the files into their proper place.

Second way is to get the file's full pathname by opening GZDoom-3.2.3.zip and clicking on the path at the top, hitting CTRL+A and CTRL+C and then closing 7-zip, and then shift-right-click on 7-zip, itself, and click "Open as Administrator", wait for it to load, go back to the pathname and click it again, hit CTRL-A CTRL-V to paste it in, and then extract it as before.

Whichever method is easier.
Rachael
QZDoom + Webmaster

Postby Nino » Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:34 pm

Thanks for the info and the prompt reply! Utilized 7Zip to extract to desktop/gzdoom, and good old Explorer can do the rest! You fixed my GZDoom! Now to complain to Microsoft. Hahaha
Nino

Discord: 5308

Postby Graf Zahl » Tue Dec 12, 2017 1:41 am

Rachael wrote:7-zip's interface is not exactly intuitive, but there's 2 ways around it:

Normally right-clicking the Zip and then uncompress through the 7-zip submenu works without problems for me, in fact that's the way I normally unpack Zip files.
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom Developer

Return to Technical Issues