No gun? No sprites? READ THIS! [AMD+OpenGL]

Need help running G/Q/ZDoom/ECWolf/Zandronum/3DGE/EDuke32/Raze? Did your computer break? Ask here.

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Forum rules
Contrary to popular belief, we are not all-knowing-all-seeing magical beings!

If you want help you're going to have to provide lots of info. Like what is your hardware, what is your operating system, what version of GZDoom/LZDoom/whatever you're using, what mods you're loading, how you're loading it, what you've already tried for fixing the problem, and anything else that is even remotely relevant to the problem.

We can't magically figure out what it is if you're going to be vague, and if we feel like you're just wasting our time with guessing games we will act like that's what you're really doing and won't help you.

Re: No gun? No sprites? READ THIS!

Post by Guest »

Still nothing on 18.9.2 ...
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

Molly Mungerfoot wrote:Still nothing on 18.9.2 ...
As this rate, I think we'd have quicker results of seeing this fixed if someone from this forum got hired at AMD's driver department. :?

Post by Guest »

Curious what are you guys using at the moment zdoom? I like the lighting effects gzdoom this just sucks I haven't played doom in months because of this AMD issue.
drfrag
Vintage GZDoom Developer

Post by drfrag »

Does GZDoom 3.3.2 run correctly?
For now you can launch 3.5.1 with the -glversion 3 parameter.
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

That will disable a lot more than the stuff that gets miscompiled, though.
underskyzx

Post by underskyzx »

I'm using 18.7.1 latest GZDoom modern version and having the same issue
tiduscrying

Post by tiduscrying »

Unfortunately 18.9.3 Beta is still having this issue. Luckily the "glversion -3" works for the time being. I am guessing this isn't a super top priority fix for AMD...
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

We really need someone playing around with the shader and trying to find a workaround. But that requires someone with an AMD card...
drfrag
Vintage GZDoom Developer

Post by drfrag »

Thanks to Blzut3 i've got a Radeon R2 integrated on an E2-9010 APU (Lenovo V110 laptop) and a Geforce GT 710 for ZDoom development. I installed the latest Lenovo driver (17.7) and everything is fine, Windows 10 previously downloaded an even older driver.
simsalabim

Post by simsalabim »

Just wanted to chime in I'm getting the same problem with my AMD R9 280x (Desktop GPU) on the latest 18.9.3 Beta Driver. The problem is at its worst on the OpenGL driver (any and all items and enemies are invisible). The problem also exists on the other renderers but to a lesser extent. For example, on the Doom 2 Integrated (typing the name from memory) renderer it works best but some walls become invisible.

If you need me to try something then let me know. I've fiddled with the in-game OpenGL settings but it doesn't do anything to restore the sprites unfortunately. The problem's a recent one for me so perhaps a rollback to a certain version would be a temporary fix.

EDIT: The aforementioned -glversion 3 launch param does seem like a perfect fix for now. Played through 2 maps of Ashes 2063 without any issues! Thanks for that!

Post by Guest »

So I continued looking to see why the AMD compiler considers uClipSplit to be unused, and I figured that it erroneously considers shanges to gl_ClipDistance not to affect the final render.

By adding this (pointless) line to the main vertex shader:

if(uClipSplit.x < -1000000.0 || uClipSplit.y > 1000000) { eyeCoordPos.w += 0.01; }

And now sprites (actors and pickups) appear again.

The compiler considers the uniform to affect rendering output, and makes it active. I think uClipLine and uClipHeightDirection are also affected in a similar manner, since they too are not in the list of active uniforms.
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

Thanks for that info. It should help adding a workaround. I still have to wonder what those guys have been smoking, considering that it's not the first time they broke the clip planes.

Post by Guest »

I poted a minimal repro on the AMD dev forums (https://community.amd.com/thread/232720), hoping the right person sees it and confirms it's a driver bug...

Post by Guest »

Seems to be fixed in 18.10.1.
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

I guess once someone posted a concrete cause of the problem it was relatively easy to add a fix.

Return to “Technical Issues”