Limit GZD to 60fps?

Need help running G/Q/ZDoom/ECWolf/Zandronum/3DGE/EDuke32/Raze? Did your computer break? Ask here.

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Forum rules
Contrary to popular belief, we are not all-knowing-all-seeing magical beings!

If you want help you're going to have to provide lots of info. Like what is your hardware, what is your operating system, what version of GZDoom/LZDoom/whatever you're using, what mods you're loading, how you're loading it, what you've already tried for fixing the problem, and anything else that is even remotely relevant to the problem.

We can't magically figure out what it is if you're going to be vague, and if we feel like you're just wasting our time with guessing games we will act like that's what you're really doing and won't help you.
Outtagum

Limit GZD to 60fps?

Post by Outtagum »

I have a 144Hz monitor but I actually have it set to 60Hz for old game compatibility reasons. However, GZD (with vsync on) runs at 144 fps. This is fine in most cases but on some maps when the fps drops to, say, 130 fps there is some jerkiness to the screen update.

Is there a way to have GZD respect my monitor refresh choice of 60Hz and have the game run at a locked 60 fps?

I have a GTX 780 with up to date drivers.
_mental_

Re: Limit GZD to 60fps?

Post by _mental_ »

Use vid_maxfps CVAR.
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

I think he wants a limit to actual 60 Hz video modes. That can be set with vid_refreshrate. All vid_maxfps does is limit the number of times the renderer gets called without synchronizing it with the screen.
Outtagum

Post by Outtagum »

Thank you for the replies and suggestions. _mental_, thanks for the link to the wiki page. :)

The vid_refreshrate variable was what I was after, thanks. I did notice, however, that the wiki states that it is only for win32. I am using a 64bit build of GZD on 64 bit Windows 10 Pro and it seems to work. Should someone (or me) update the wiki or am I missing something?

Thanks again.
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

Win32 means Windows here. The Wiki test is a bit older.

Return to “Technical Issues”