(GZDoom)(Solved) Enemy, weapon, and pickup sprites invisible

Need help running G/Q/ZDoom/ECWolf/Zandronum/3DGE/EDuke32/Raze? Did your computer break? Ask here.

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Forum rules
Contrary to popular belief, we are not all-knowing-all-seeing magical beings!

If you want help you're going to have to provide lots of info. Like what is your hardware, what is your operating system, what version of GZDoom/LZDoom/whatever you're using, what mods you're loading, how you're loading it, what you've already tried for fixing the problem, and anything else that is even remotely relevant to the problem.

We can't magically figure out what it is if you're going to be vague, and if we feel like you're just wasting our time with guessing games we will act like that's what you're really doing and won't help you.
shotgunfacelift

(GZDoom)(Solved) Enemy, weapon, and pickup sprites invisible

Post by shotgunfacelift »

Hello,
When running Doom or Doom II in GZDoom, the enemy, weapon, and pickup sprites are not appearing. I have attached a link for a video that shows the issue. Does anyone know how to fix this?
Also, the video quality is complete garbage, I know that. I didn't feel like waiting for a long export. It rendered kinda wrong, too.
https://youtu.be/fQBIycwlDYM
Last edited by shotgunfacelift on Sun Aug 27, 2017 12:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Caligari87
Admin
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Re: (GZDoom) Enemy, weapon, and pickup sprites invisible

Post by Caligari87 »

Gonna need a lot more info:

- GZDoom version (don't just say "latest")? Hardware or Software renderer? Graphics card? Operating System? Are your drivers up-to-date?

- Mods loaded? (including skins folder or autoload) Did you modify your IWADs? Please post your startup log.

- When did it stop working or when was the last time it worked? What did you last do?

8-)
shotgunfacelift

Caligari87 wrote:Gonna need a lot more info:

- GZDoom version (don't just say "latest")? Hardware or Software renderer? Graphics card? Operating System? Are your drivers up-to-date?

- Mods loaded? (including skins folder or autoload) Did you modify your IWADs? Please post your startup log.

- When did it stop working or when was the last time it worked? What did you last do?

8-)
Thanks for the response!
-Tested on 2 versions - 2.2.0 and 3.1.0/Software renderer/Radeon HD 6770M/Windows 7 Professional/Yes, all drivers are up to date
-No mods loaded/IWAD not modified/Check below
-The last time it worked was on my old Dell laptop with Intel graphics. I just tried it for the first time on my new laptop. The last thing I did was copy the files from my old computer to the new one.
Startup log:
Spoiler:
Caligari87
Admin
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Post by Caligari87 »

Just as a quick troubleshoot, in case this is related to a configuration setting: Move your "gzdoom-username.ini" file somewhere else, and run the game again. GZDoom should generate a new "default" configuration, see if the problem still occurs then. If it's fixed, that means something in your old config was causing the problem. At that point I'd recommend re-doing your key bindings and stuff on the new config so the problem setting doesn't get re-introduced.

8-)
shotgunfacelift

Caligari87 wrote:Move your "gzdoom-username.ini" file somewhere else, and run the game again.
It created a new default config, but the sprites are still missing. Doom II has the same problem.
phantombeta
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by phantombeta »

Try running it in OpenGL, just to be sure. if it doesn't show the sprites either, then it's either a problem with your copy of the IWADs, or your copy of GZDoom.
(In that log, GZDoom says your GPU supports OpenGL 4.1 Core Profile. That means it can definitely run GZDoom's OpenGL renderer. Should run with a playable framerate, too, I think.)

EDIT: Wait, that video doesn't seem to have y-shearing... Did you enable the poly renderer? If not, then you're using hardware rendering, not software. (I'm saying this because if the poly renderer isn't enabled, then software rendering is done with the old Doom/Carmack renderer, which has y-shearing when looking up/down and can't look straight up or down)
You also say you tested it in 2.2.0. Did you enable software rendering with vid_renderer 0 in that?
shotgunfacelift

phantombeta wrote:Try running it in OpenGL, just to be sure. if it doesn't show the sprites either, then it's either a problem with your copy of the IWADs, or your copy of GZDoom.
(In that log, GZDoom says your GPU supports OpenGL 4.1 Core Profile. That means it can definitely run GZDoom's OpenGL renderer. Should run with a playable framerate, too, I think.)

EDIT: Wait, that video doesn't seem to have y-shearing... Did you enable the poly renderer? If not, then you're using hardware rendering, not software. (I'm saying this because if the poly renderer isn't enabled, then software rendering is done with the old Doom/Carmack renderer, which has y-shearing when looking up/down and can't look straight up or down)
You also say you tested it in 2.2.0. Did you enable software rendering with vid_renderer 0 in that?
2.2.0 is the original one I tested it with, it's the version in the video I posted. 3.1.0 is the current latest version, I just downloaded it today to see if it would fix the issue.
In 3.1.0, there is an option to switch from OpenGL (Accelerated) to the hardware renderer, and that seemed to fix it. Vid_renderer 0 in 2.2.0 seems to fix it as well. This seems to be an OpenGL issue, so is there any way I can get it working without having to use the hardware renderer?

Edit: Also, when using mods on the hardware renderer, this happened:
phantombeta

Post by phantombeta »

In 3.1.0, there is an option to switch from OpenGL (Accelerated) to the hardware renderer, and that seemed to fix it. Vid_renderer 0 in 2.2.0 seems to fix it as well. This seems to be an OpenGL issue, so is there any way I can get it working without having to use the hardware renderer?
Uhhh... This sentence doesn't make much sense. The options are "Hardware (OpenGL)" and "Software (Doom)". The former is hardware rendering with OpenGL, and the latter is software rendering using the CPU.
Anyway. Make 100% sure your GPU drivers are up to date. Since you say this computer is new, it will probably have outdated drivers.

Also, get it to happen again and click "Save Report to Disk...". After that, post the report here. That screenshot is useless, as it gives no useful information.
shotgunfacelift

phantombeta wrote: Uhhh... This sentence doesn't make much sense. The options are "Hardware (OpenGL)" and "Software (Doom)". The former is hardware rendering with OpenGL, and the latter is software rendering using the CPU.
Anyway. Make 100% sure your GPU drivers are up to date. Since you say this computer is new, it will probably have outdated drivers.

Also, get it to happen again and click "Save Report to Disk...". After that, post the report here. That screenshot is useless, as it gives no useful information.
Sorry that my sentence didn't make sense, I meant software renderer. When I say the laptop is "new" I mean it's from 2012 and I bought it used. I just installed the latest drivers onto a fresh install of Windows. I know that the screenshot is useless as is, I wanted to show that using the software renderer produces issues with some mods. I looked at the crash report, and it seems to be an issue on the mod's end, as lots of the different ammo/weapon types seemed to be causing errors. My point was that on my old computer, I never got these issues when using OpenGL.
phantombeta

Post by phantombeta »

Ah. Well, there's something seriously wrong here. It shouldn't be doing this with hardware rendering. Sounds like there's something weird going on.
Hmm... Just to be sure, go to the "Display Options" menu (Options>Display Options) and change the "Notebook switchable GPU" option. (It's in the bottom of the menu)
(Even if your laptop doesn't have a switchable GPU, I'd say it's better to check just in case.)
shotgunfacelift

phantombeta wrote:Ah. Well, there's something seriously wrong here. It shouldn't be doing this with hardware rendering. Sounds like there's something weird going on.
Hmm... Just to be sure, go to the "Display Options" menu (Options>Display Options) and change the "Notebook switchable GPU" option. (It's in the bottom of the menu)
(Even if your laptop doesn't have a switchable GPU, I'd say it's better to check just in case.)
That didn't seem to fix it on 3.1.0. Is there any fix specifically for 2.2.0? I'd prefer to use that version.
phantombeta

Post by phantombeta »

Why would you prefer to use 2.2.0?
That's VERY outdated. Quite a few mods are using new features that were only introduced in or after 2.3.0. There's also no real reason to use it, really.

Also, I'm not even sure what your problem is, really. There's no way it could be a bug in GZDoom, it seems like something's wrong with your GPU. (Specially since it happens in 2.2.0 too. It'd have been fixed before if it were a bug in GZDoom)
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

Of course there is no fix for 2.2.0. It was superseded by 2.3, which was superseded by 2.4 which again was superseded by 3.1.
This isn't Windows where 4 major versions get maintained in parallel. If a bug gets fixed, it will get fixed for the latest one, not some older release.
shotgunfacelift

phantombeta wrote:Why would you prefer to use 2.2.0? That's very outdated. Quite a few mods are using new features that were only introduced in or after 2.3.0. There's also no real reason to use it, really.
I noticed that in 3.1.0 the audio sounds different, and the menu text doesn't highlight when the mouse is over it. The audio issue seems to be because there is no "sound system" option in the MIDI device list on 3.1.0.
Last edited by shotgunfacelift on Fri Aug 25, 2017 12:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
shotgunfacelift

Graf Zahl wrote:Of course there is no fix for 2.2.0. It was superseded by 2.3, which was superseded by 2.4 which again was superseded by 3.1.
This isn't Windows where 4 major versions get maintained in parallel. If a bug gets fixed, it will get fixed for the latest one, not some older release.
This is a bug that I've encountered only on this specific laptop. And so far, none of the fixes for 3.1.0 on the OpenGL renderer seem to work for me.

Return to “Technical Issues”