(GZDoom)(Solved) Enemy, weapon, and pickup sprites invisible

Need help running G/Q/ZDoom/ECWolf/Zandronum/3DGE/EDuke32/Raze? Did your computer break? Ask here.

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Forum rules
Contrary to popular belief, we are not all-knowing-all-seeing magical beings!

If you want help you're going to have to provide lots of info. Like what is your hardware, what is your operating system, what version of GZDoom/LZDoom/whatever you're using, what mods you're loading, how you're loading it, what you've already tried for fixing the problem, and anything else that is even remotely relevant to the problem.

We can't magically figure out what it is if you're going to be vague, and if we feel like you're just wasting our time with guessing games we will act like that's what you're really doing and won't help you.
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Re: (GZDoom) Enemy, weapon, and pickup sprites invisible

Post by Graf Zahl »

The bug is probably with your graphics driver. Invisible sprites are a known issue with certain old ATI drivers. So the first thing you should try is update it.
shotgunfacelift

Post by shotgunfacelift »

Graf Zahl wrote:The bug is probably with your graphics driver. Invisible sprites are a known issue with certain old ATI drivers. So the first thing you should try is update it.
I already did, it didn't fix the issue. Thanks for the response, though.
shotgunfacelift

Update:
My laptop has switchable graphics. Using the graphics control panel, I switched from the high-power GPU (Radeon 6770M) to the low power one (Intel Graphics). I then deleted the gzdoom-(username).ini file. When I ran the game, my issue seemed to be fixed, but when I set it to fullscreen mode and restarted the game, it gets stuck while loading. Is there really no fix for ATI graphics on 2.2.0 and 3.1.0?
And yes, I did update the drivers.
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

The latest drivers for this hardware should work. Can you post a GZDoom startup log?
shotgunfacelift

Graf Zahl wrote:The latest drivers for this hardware should work. Can you post a GZDoom startup log?
Thanks for the response, here you go:
Spoiler:
Rachael
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Rachael »

I moved this to tech issues.

Your laptop's manufacturer is going to hate me for this, but have you tried drivers from AMD's site? It sounds like your laptop may be slow in updating them.
shotgunfacelift

Rachael wrote:I moved this to tech issues.

Your laptop's manufacturer is going to hate me for this, but have you tried drivers from AMD's site? It sounds like your laptop may be slow in updating them.
Thanks for moving this to the appropriate area. Yes, I've tried getting them directly from the AMD site. It installs the same version as the one from the manufacturer's site.
shotgunfacelift

Update 2:
I tried using QZDoom. As expected, when using the OpenGL renderer, I encountered the same issue.
shotgunfacelift

Update 3:
I have just solved the issue! Apparently, it is a common issue for my specific graphics card to have broken OpenGL drivers. I was able to find the working drivers from a beta version of the graphics driver, and after copying them into my System32 folder, the game runs great! I will attach the files if I am allowed to.
Thanks to the users who tried helping me with the issue, and thanks to Graf Zahl for his work on GZDoom!
Edit: If an admin sees this, please add (Solved) to the title of this thread.
Last edited by shotgunfacelift on Sun Aug 27, 2017 1:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Caligari87
Admin
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Post by Caligari87 »

Glad you sorted it! You can actually edit the thread title by editing your first post.

8-)
shotgunfacelift

Caligari87 wrote:Glad you sorted it! You can actually edit the thread title by editing your first post.

8-)
Thanks for the tip, done.
Mr.Enchanter

Re: (GZDoom)(Solved) Enemy, weapon, and pickup sprites invis

Post by Mr.Enchanter »

So where exactly are these drivers? It'd be useful to know how to actually fix this rather than, "Ope fixed it, close topic pls."

Return to “Technical Issues”