Is it normal for SSAO to completely tank the framerate?

Need help running G/Q/ZDoom/ECWolf/Zandronum/3DGE/EDuke32/Raze? Did your computer break? Ask here.

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Forum rules
Contrary to popular belief, we are not all-knowing-all-seeing magical beings!

If you want help you're going to have to provide lots of info. Like what is your hardware, what is your operating system, what version of GZDoom/LZDoom/whatever you're using, what mods you're loading, how you're loading it, what you've already tried for fixing the problem, and anything else that is even remotely relevant to the problem.

We can't magically figure out what it is if you're going to be vague, and if we feel like you're just wasting our time with guessing games we will act like that's what you're really doing and won't help you.
Rip and Tear

Is it normal for SSAO to completely tank the framerate?

Post by Rip and Tear »

I know Ambient Occlusion can be a very taxing effect, but is it normal for AO to drop the framerate from 200fps to 45fps? (AO Quality doesn't make a difference.) I'm running GZDoom 3.1.0 on macOS.
dpJudas

Re: Is it normal for SSAO to completely tank the framerate?

Post by dpJudas »

Yes, because Apple stopped selling computers with proper GPU's. ;)

Okay, more serious reply: The SSAO pass is one of the most taxing passes in GZDoom. Even on high end cards it costs a lot - i.e. on my NV 980 at 4K the low quality level drops it to about 90 fps on simple maps.
Gez

Re: Is it normal for SSAO to completely tank the framerate?

Post by Gez »

That's why it's an option.

Return to “Technical Issues”