OpenGL running slow

Need help running G/Q/ZDoom/ECWolf/Zandronum/3DGE/EDuke32/Raze? Did your computer break? Ask here.

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Forum rules
Contrary to popular belief, we are not all-knowing-all-seeing magical beings!

If you want help you're going to have to provide lots of info. Like what is your hardware, what is your operating system, what version of GZDoom/LZDoom/whatever you're using, what mods you're loading, how you're loading it, what you've already tried for fixing the problem, and anything else that is even remotely relevant to the problem.

We can't magically figure out what it is if you're going to be vague, and if we feel like you're just wasting our time with guessing games we will act like that's what you're really doing and won't help you.

OpenGL running slow

Post by Guest »

This is a really weird problem and is probably caused by something on my side.
When running GZdoom with the OpenGL renderer, I get 20 to 30 FPS. I get 150+ FPS using the software renderer. (tested on both GZdoom 2.4 and 3.1).
I ran it without mods in DOOM 2 (fps were got via the vid_fps 1 command in the first level of doom 2, the difference in FPS was quite noticeable)
It shouldn't be my hardware. I have a new laptop with a Nvidia 1050 Ti graphics card with the latest drivers, an i7 7700 HQ processor and 16 gb ram. The os is win 10 64 bit.
Is there a setting that gives a huge performance dip? I've only changed the texture settings from the default.
Or is there something I missed?
Major Cooke
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Re: OpenGL running slow

Post by Major Cooke »

At the bottom of Display Options, you can set your Notebook Switchable GPU to High-Performance.

You might also need to set it up with the NVidia control panel. This is because laptops now have Optimus.
Rachael
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Rachael »

Note that setting the option in the menu will override any control panel setting. This is because it uses the environment variable that NVidia uses to 'force' a GPU switch setting. (I recommend leaving it to let NVidia decide unless there is a specific reason that you need to forcefully set it - this setting has a direct consequence with your battery consumption)

Post by Guest »

Both did not work and did not seem to influence performance. Maybe it is a windows 10 update problem?
I also made sure the NVIDIA card was used and not the integrated graphics card, and windows has some kind of game mode as well but that also did not effect the performance.
Vsync makes the fps stable at 20 frames.
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

Are your drivers up to date? The Windows 10 Creators Update was actually causing some problems here, so if you run an older driver it may be the cause.

Post by Guest »

Updated all my drivers, but that didn't help unfortunately
I also deleted my .ini file and it seemed to work (200 fps) but it dropped below 30 as soon as I set it on fullscreen with my native resolution 1920x1080.
Maybe I need older drivers or something?
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

I need to see what part is slow.
Can you do a test with 'vid_vsync 0' and then run the 'bench' CCMD?
That will write a 'benchmarks.txt file which I'd like to have a look at.

Post by Guest »

I will, but I found something else in the meantime
windowed in 1080 p the game runs 200 fps
fullscreen in 1080p the game runs sub 30...

1080 p is the native resolution...

Post by Guest »

and here the benchmark

Map map01: "entryway",
x = -111.3308, y = 751.0612, z = 97.0000, angle = -147.8320, pitch = 0.0000
Walls: 14 (0 splits, 0 t-splits, 40 vertices)
Flats: 10 (18 primitives, 88 vertices)
Sprites: 0, Decals=4, Portals: 1
W: Render=0.018, Setup=0.012, Clip=0.005
F: Render=0.010, Setup=0.003
S: Render=0.000, Setup=0.002
All=40.647, Render=0.092, Setup=0.026, BSP = 0.004, Portal=0.014, Drawcalls=0.034, Finish=40.367
DLight - Walls: 0 processed, 0 rendered - Flats: 0 processed, 0 rendered
Missing textures: 0 upper, 0 lower, 0.000 ms
23 fps

Post by Guest »

I get the feeling it somehow still sees GZ doom as a background application or something, I dont know how yet, but that should be fixable
DarkkOne
Preferred Pronouns: No Preference
Operating System Version (Optional): Widnows 11
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by DarkkOne »

Just as a note, I had this problem (or one that sounds a lot like it) too. It started with the latest Nvidia update.

If Nvidia control panel was set to let auto-select which GPU to run on, then if I had it set to use the Intel one in-game, FPS would be good (but of course higher-quality features would slow things down.) If I set it to use the high-performance Nvidia one in-game, everything would slow down no matter what.

Meanwhile, if I set Nvidia control panel to override it to use the Nvidia GPU, things worked much better and my performance was fine.

Before the latest Nvidia driver update, the option in-game worked fine. Change it, restart the game, you got whichever card you'd set it to. After the driver update, this issue started. So, at least in part, something they changed.

For whatever reason, the setting in the gzdoom menu stopped working right with the latest driver update. When the Nvidia control panel is set to use the high performance GPU, the gzdoom options seem to work right. When it's set to use the default (intel) one, the gzdoom option doesn't work right.
xDFx IRONWING

Post by xDFx IRONWING »

Yeah I have been having this trouble too. Running in windowed mode will get rid of the whole slow down, but as soon as it is fullscreen, or even emulated fullscreen such as with the Borderless Gaming tool, it slows down. It is somehow tied to the newest Nvidia drivers released on June 28th for laptops, and anything, not just GzDoom, that runs in OpenGL is affected by this slow down. I remember before this update, the slow down's were gone, but there was horrible screen tearing. Kinda wish I had the tearing back compared to this :/

And DarkkOne, tried that, did not work unfortunately.
DarkkOne
Preferred Pronouns: No Preference
Operating System Version (Optional): Widnows 11
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by DarkkOne »

Was it the weird diagonal tearing? If so, yeah, I'd noticed that this driver update seemed to improve/fix that.
Rachael
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Rachael »

That is Optimus. You have several options:

- Disable VSync in GZDoom (you can use vid_maxfps to keep your GPU cool)
- Run in full screen
- Disable "Aero" if running in Windows 7
- Restart the system
- Run GZDoom on your integrated GPU
xDFx IRONWING

Post by xDFx IRONWING »

DarkkOne, yeah that diagonal tearing. Still apparent in a few games, but thankfully not many any more.

Thanks for the tips Rachael. Unfortunately, none of those worked, by themselves or in combination :( might have to just wait for the next Nvidia drivers and see what happens then.

Return to “Technical Issues”