GZDoom Blank screen when using OpenGL [FIXED]

Need help running G/Q/ZDoom/ECWolf/Zandronum/3DGE/EDuke32/Raze? Did your computer break? Ask here.

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Forum rules
Contrary to popular belief, we are not all-knowing-all-seeing magical beings!

If you want help you're going to have to provide lots of info. Like what is your hardware, what is your operating system, what version of GZDoom/LZDoom/whatever you're using, what mods you're loading, how you're loading it, what you've already tried for fixing the problem, and anything else that is even remotely relevant to the problem.

We can't magically figure out what it is if you're going to be vague, and if we feel like you're just wasting our time with guessing games we will act like that's what you're really doing and won't help you.
kalzekdor

GZDoom Blank screen when using OpenGL [FIXED]

Post by kalzekdor »

So, the Windows 10 Creators Update got pushed out to my laptop, which ended up breaking my GPU drivers (Nvidia GT540m). I downloaded new drivers, which are working fine in tests. However, when using the OpenGL renderer in GZDoom, all that shows up is a blank screen. The cursor shows up, and the game is technically running, but nothing renders.

I don't even know where to begin diagnosing this issue, so any help would be appreciated.
Last edited by kalzekdor on Sat Jun 03, 2017 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Enjay

Re: GZDoom Blank screen when using OpenGL

Post by Enjay »

I got a blank screen with the Creator's update when I installed it (3 or so weeks ago). However, reinstalling my nVidia drivers fixed it for me. I'd suggest trying again with a completely clean uninstall and reinstall of your drivers.
kalzekdor

Post by kalzekdor »

That's exactly what I did, though. I downloaded the latest drivers from Nvidia. Benchmark tests with both DirectX and OpenGL work fine, as far as I can tell it's just GZDoom acting up.

I'll do another test, uninstall, reboot, start install, reboot, finish install, reboot, reboot again for the heck of it, then launch GZDoom.
kalzekdor

Post by kalzekdor »

I did a complete reinstall of my drivers from scratch, which didn't quite fix the problem, but it did something. GZDoom started crashing (as in generating a windows appcrash window) on start-up. Not sure what was causing that, but I something I poked at along the way ended up fixing it. Must have been some weird transient issue caused by a confluence of various instabilities. Yay computers. In any case, managed to get it running, thanks.
Rachael
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Re: GZDoom Blank screen when using OpenGL [FIXED]

Post by Rachael »

Important thing to remember here in these cases is all these major updates (Anniversary Update, Creator's Update, and soon to be released Fall Creator's Update) are just service packs for Windows 10. They're just no longer called Service Packs because of the new "Windows-as-a-service" model that Microsoft has adopted.

I wouldn't be surprised if these can get bigger in scope and size than previous service pack iterations, though, up to and including a full operating system replacement - though that will never happen if they keep doing minor service pack updates like this since that's how the thread of changes will be coming out regardless.

But that's why things break so often with these major updates - the kernel and critical system components get swapped out, and if the operating system is customized in any way (even something as small as a driver) it can cause things to break.

Return to “Technical Issues”