GZDoom framerate issues

Need help running G/Q/ZDoom/ECWolf/Zandronum/3DGE/EDuke32/Raze? Did your computer break? Ask here.

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Forum rules
Contrary to popular belief, we are not all-knowing-all-seeing magical beings!

If you want help you're going to have to provide lots of info. Like what is your hardware, what is your operating system, what version of GZDoom/LZDoom/whatever you're using, what mods you're loading, how you're loading it, what you've already tried for fixing the problem, and anything else that is even remotely relevant to the problem.

We can't magically figure out what it is if you're going to be vague, and if we feel like you're just wasting our time with guessing games we will act like that's what you're really doing and won't help you.
Chloroxite

GZDoom framerate issues

Post by Chloroxite »

Used to, GZDoom ran perfectly fine on my toaster of a computer. But as of version 2.x (When the renderer started gettung overhauled) the game ran at a not so favorable framerate...Now its version 3.0 and renderer interpolation seems to work now at uncapping my framerate, but it still seems to lower to 30 fps at the least when either a skybox is in view, or when I am in a moderately sized room or something. It isn't a HUGE issue, as 30 fps is still playable, but it is enough to be a nuisance. Any assistance?
Rachael
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Re: GZDoom framerate issues

Post by Rachael »

It sounds like your computer doesn't like shaders.

What are your hardware specs?
Chloroxite

Post by Chloroxite »

Sorry for the long wait.
My build is old, yes.
Core 2 Duo (newer model, but I cant tell you the exact model.)
Geforce GS 8300 (Either this or integrated graphics, so I pulled this out of my old pc.)
4GB RAM
Shaders is probably the exact problem, anyway to turn them off?
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

What GL version is reported when you start up? And yes, GS 8300 is pretty damn old, although the one I have was capable of running GZDoom just fine last time I looked at it...

According to specs it is OpenGL 2.0 so GZDoom will not attempt to run shaders on it, anyway. The only thing you can do to reduce the draw time is lower your game resolution.
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

GS 8300 should be GL 3.3 if I am not mistaken. But it's at the low end of the performance spectrum and won't provide a good experience. Shaders should be fine on any GL 3 hardware but with something this weak full HD display is out, for example. The hardware simply doesn't have the processing power, especially when multisampling is active.

Forcing '-glversion 2' is at least something to try but first try to switch off render buffers. They can make quite a difference on low end hardware but of course will disable some advanced features.
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

Would an archivable CVar gl_force_legacy_path be helpful in these instances? Knowing, of course, that the legacy renderer is eventually going to be removed, anyway...
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

Normally not. Geforce 8xxx series never showed much of a performance difference between shaders and no shaders for me. The hardware that is known to have bad GL 3 support is already forced down by default.
Chloroxite

Post by Chloroxite »

Oh wow a response other than "get a better a better computer!" (Even if it is a valid point) Thanks for the help, I shall document the results in a couple of minutes when I hop on my computer.

Update: Forcing GL Version 2.0 seems to do the trick. Its back to running its former silky smooth gameplay. (Pretty sure I just messed up with grammar)

Another question, is it possible that playing gzdoom in GL 2.0 might mess with some mods?
Last edited by Chloroxite on Wed Jun 07, 2017 10:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

Chloroxite wrote:Oh wow a response other than "get a better a better computer!" (Even if it is a valid point)
The GS 8300 is about the "minimum" of what you should try for, when someone says "get a better computer!" - it's a very low-end card even for its day (although it performed a lot better back then comparatively to what was available), and it's also an OEM card - it was only available in pre-built systems and could not be purchased separately.

That being said - well, it certainly wouldn't hurt to get a better computer. It's really about what you would expect from an OpenGL 3 card.

Return to “Technical Issues”