GZDoom 3.0.1 - sudden input problems

Need help running G/Q/ZDoom/ECWolf/Zandronum/3DGE/EDuke32/Raze? Did your computer break? Ask here.

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Forum rules
Contrary to popular belief, we are not all-knowing-all-seeing magical beings!

If you want help you're going to have to provide lots of info. Like what is your hardware, what is your operating system, what version of GZDoom/LZDoom/whatever you're using, what mods you're loading, how you're loading it, what you've already tried for fixing the problem, and anything else that is even remotely relevant to the problem.

We can't magically figure out what it is if you're going to be vague, and if we feel like you're just wasting our time with guessing games we will act like that's what you're really doing and won't help you.
vAethor

GZDoom 3.0.1 - sudden input problems

Post by vAethor »

This is really frustrating. I was working on a new DECORATE script in Slade 3, saved the .pk3 file and ran the archive, but all of a sudden GZDoom's settings are made so the menu automatically comes up as soon as I run the WAD (as if I had pushed the start button,) and as soon as I start a game the player starts automatically spinning clockwise.

I highly doubt my script has anything to do with it - all it does is give a Zombieman enhanced speed and health and the ability to shoot Imp fireballs (following a tutorial on the DZoom wiki, I haven't made WAD in years and need to brush up on my DECORATE skills.) I am using a config file optimized for a USB game controller, that I am highly fond of. I noticed deleting the config seemed to make the problem go away, but it came back as soon as I copied and pasted a fresh copy of the same GZDoom config, thinking my script had somehow caused the problem.

Please help, this is really unfortunate that GZDoom starts glitching up as soon as I need it more than ever to test my WADs.

Edit: I may have just fixed the problem myself. It's possible GZDoom was reading input from both the controller I wanted and an Xbox 360 controller plugged into a different port, that had quite a bit of junk on top of it to possibly cause the start button and analog stick to make the player do that. Unplugged Xbox controller and game pad, plugged the game pad back in, reset the config just to be sure, copypasted it back in and changed a few things and now both it and my script seem to be working fine.

I'm still wary of something else going on, so I'm not quite ready to have the mods mark this as solved. What do you think?
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Re: GZDoom 3.0.1 - sudden input problems

Post by wildweasel »

The symptoms alone sounded like a gamepad problem, whether just a gamepad with stuff sitting on it (as you described) or the joystick config reading the wrong axes (possible if a driver change happened recently, i.e. with a DualShock 4 or similar).
vAethor

Re: GZDoom 3.0.1 - sudden input problems

Post by vAethor »

I am pretty sure it was caused by the other controller. I plugged it back in this morning and tested to see if GZDoom reads input from two plugged-in controllers at a time. It does, so the problem was almost assuredly caused by other stuff on my desk sitting on top of the controller.

Return to “Technical Issues”