GZDoom crashes after upgrade to Ubuntu 17.04

Need help running G/Q/ZDoom/ECWolf/Zandronum/3DGE/EDuke32/Raze? Did your computer break? Ask here.

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Forum rules
Contrary to popular belief, we are not all-knowing-all-seeing magical beings!

If you want help you're going to have to provide lots of info. Like what is your hardware, what is your operating system, what version of GZDoom/LZDoom/whatever you're using, what mods you're loading, how you're loading it, what you've already tried for fixing the problem, and anything else that is even remotely relevant to the problem.

We can't magically figure out what it is if you're going to be vague, and if we feel like you're just wasting our time with guessing games we will act like that's what you're really doing and won't help you.
Stormwalker

GZDoom crashes after upgrade to Ubuntu 17.04

Post by Stormwalker »

Hi, I have been using Ubuntu Linux for about 2 years now. GZDoom has worked well for me since version 14.04. I believe that the last Ubuntu version that I ran GZDoom on was 16.04(Xenial Xerus). I recently upgraded to version 17.04(Zesty Zapus) and now whenever I try to run GZDoom, I get this error...

GZDoom g2.4.0 - 2017-03-19 21:36:18 +0100 - SDL version
Compiled on Mar 21 2017

M_LoadDefaults: Load system defaults.
Aborted (core dumped)

The only change that I've made to my system was the Ubuntu version upgrade, so I am assuming that this is to blame for GZDoom not working. I have tried uninstalling and then reinstalling GZDoom, but the problem persists. If anyone has any ideas on why this is happening or how to fix it, I would be grateful. Thanks!
_mental_

Re: GZDoom crashes after upgrade to Ubuntu 17.04

Post by _mental_ »

It's impossible to say anything without crash report.
Some unknown failure happened on early stage of initialization.

If really want to investigate it, you need to run GZDoom under debugger to get a callstack.
Execute the following command in Terminal:

Code: Select all

gdb /opt/gzdoom/gzdoom
If it says that gdb program is not installed, install it using this command and run the first command again:

sudo apt-get install gdb
In (gdb) prompt execute run command. When it stops execute bt command and post whole output here.
Rachael
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Rachael »

Also make sure you compile with "cmake -DCMAKE_BUILD_TYPE=RelWithDebInfo", otherwise the debug info it gives will be nothing more than an incoherent string of numbers.
_mental_

Post by _mental_ »

It's about build installed from .deb package. That's why path to GZDoom is /opt/gzdoom/gzdoom.
Rachael
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Rachael »

Ah - my apologies.
Stormwalker

Post by Stormwalker »

_mental_ wrote:When it stops execute bt command and post whole output here.
Ok, here's the output I got. Thanks for the instructions by the way!
Spoiler:
Hope this helps!
_mental_

Post by _mental_ »

Could you please try to run GZDoom with -iwad command line option? For example

gzdoom -iwad doom2
The problem is caused by IWAD selection window and I'm curious is this the only issue or not.
Stormwalker

Post by Stormwalker »

_mental_ wrote:Could you please try to run GZDoom with -iwad command line option?
GZDoom successfully runs when I specify iwad, no matter which iwad. Before it would pop up an iwad selection screen up if I didn't specify iwad, but now it just bombs out with that "Aborted, core dump" error. I keep all my iwads in /usr/local/share/games/doom/, and have for years.
_mental_

Post by _mental_ »

The problem is not related to upgrade of Ubuntu and reproduces on the clean install.
However in GZDoom 2.4.0 built on 17.04 from sources IWAD selector works fine.
Unfortunately I have no idea why it doesn't in the released version.
dontpokethebear3893

Post by dontpokethebear3893 »

I'd like to bump this saying I experience the same issues. It kind of sucks but gzdoom1 (1.9.1) still works fine
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

This looks a bit odd. The last line of GZDoom that appears in the stack trace is this:

GtkAvailable = Gtk::gtk_init_check (&argc, &argv);
The file containing this line was added in November 2016 which may explain why 1.9.1 still works. The check was in a different place there.

Relevant commit log:

- Added support for GTK3 (thanks to "MineyMe" and edward-san)
- Replaced GTK/OS X (note different from Cocoa) clipboard code with SDL clipboard API.
- Removed requirement to link to GTK in order to compile with GTK support.
	- GTK is no longer init'd if the GTK IWAD picker is not used.
	- Our usage of GTK is such that the dynamic loader can work with both GTK2 and GTK3 depending on what's installed.
	- Since we're accumulating a lot of library loaders I've built a generic interface as FModule which replaces TOptWin32Proc and the loaders in the OpenAL and Fluidsynth code.

Return to “Technical Issues”