Doom Delta - Video corruption

Need help running G/Q/ZDoom/ECWolf/Zandronum/3DGE? Did your computer break? Ask here.

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Doom Delta - Video corruption

Postby Sgt Nate V » Sat Apr 08, 2017 2:31 pm

I found this odd bug. I was playing in opengl in 2.4, but the screen looked weird at one point, and GZDoom crashed. I can't seem to replicate this bug, and I didn't take a screenshot. Let me describe as best as I can. The crosshair grew giant, nearly covering the screen, the hud looked odd, I think I saw another screen at the bottom.
Sgt Nate V
The Servo Crowation

Discord: 9869

Re: Doom Delta v1.1 - Evil has been unleashed!

Postby wildweasel » Sat Apr 08, 2017 3:19 pm

Sgt Jack V wrote:I found this odd bug. I was playing in opengl in 2.4, but the screen looked weird at one point, and GZDoom crashed. I can't seem to replicate this bug, and I didn't take a screenshot. Let me describe as best as I can. The crosshair grew giant, nearly covering the screen, the hud looked odd, I think I saw another screen at the bottom.

This sounds like video corruption, which is more likely to be a fault of your video drivers or hardware, whether due to memory errors or overheating.
wildweasel
change o' pace.
Moderator Team Lead

Postby Sgt Nate V » Sat Apr 08, 2017 5:24 pm

wildweasel wrote:
Sgt Jack V wrote:I found this odd bug. I was playing in opengl in 2.4, but the screen looked weird at one point, and GZDoom crashed. I can't seem to replicate this bug, and I didn't take a screenshot. Let me describe as best as I can. The crosshair grew giant, nearly covering the screen, the hud looked odd, I think I saw another screen at the bottom.

This sounds like video corruption, which is more likely to be a fault of your video drivers or hardware, whether due to memory errors or overheating.

No, no, my computer is has an AMD Radeon card. It should be fine.
Sgt Nate V
The Servo Crowation

Postby Lud » Sat Apr 08, 2017 5:29 pm

It's precisely AMD cards that have issues with GZDoom, from what I recall. Still, update drivers. And post some specs.
Lud

Postby wildweasel » Sat Apr 08, 2017 5:29 pm

The brand name is irrelevant. All video cards can potentially develop faults. Make sure your hardware is not overheating and that your drivers are up to date.
wildweasel
change o' pace.
Moderator Team Lead

Postby Sgt Nate V » Sat Apr 08, 2017 7:12 pm

wildweasel wrote:The brand name is irrelevant. All video cards can potentially develop faults. Make sure your hardware is not overheating and that your drivers are up to date.

Ok, first, my computer is not overheating. Two, my drivers are up to date. It's probably a little one time memory overload or something.
Sgt Nate V
The Servo Crowation

Postby wildweasel » Sat Apr 08, 2017 7:24 pm

Sgt Jack V wrote:
wildweasel wrote:The brand name is irrelevant. All video cards can potentially develop faults. Make sure your hardware is not overheating and that your drivers are up to date.

Ok, first, my computer is not overheating. Two, my drivers are up to date. It's probably a little one time memory overload or something.

Okay, maybe I did lay it on a little thick up there, but I'm not sure it warranted that snippy of a response...? In any case, it's most likely not the mod's fault...
wildweasel
change o' pace.
Moderator Team Lead

Postby Sgt Nate V » Sat Apr 08, 2017 8:45 pm

wildweasel wrote:
Sgt Jack V wrote:

Okay, maybe I did lay it on a little thick up there, but I'm not sure it warranted that snippy of a response...? In any case, it's most likely not the mod's fault...

Ok, sorry, wasn't thinking right. Might delete posts.
Sgt Nate V
The Servo Crowation

Postby Lud » Sat Apr 08, 2017 9:42 pm

I'd advise against that.
Lud

Re: Doom Delta - Video corruption

Postby Rachael » Sat Apr 08, 2017 9:52 pm

Even better - let's just split the topic and focus on fixing the original problem.

@Sgt Jack V: Never outright quip that your video card is not overheating. You may not realize it, but it can do that very easily. In fact, there's a lot in your system that can go wrong that you might be "sure" is not a problem. The STUPIDEST thing you can EVER do is say it's "not" that without at least grabbing a hardware monitor and looking at your temps.

For that - I recommend Open Hardware Monitor. The hottest a typical AMD GPU should run is about 70C, at about 80C you will have problems. If your GPU is newer, it should automatically underclock itself to try and throw off some heat before it produces more. Check to make sure your fans are running correctly, as well.
Rachael
Webmaster

Discord: Rachael#3767
Twitch ID: madamerachelle
Github ID: madame-rachelle

Return to Technical Issues