GZDoom crashing when loading D_Runnin on MAP01 in Doom 2?

Need help running G/Q/ZDoom/ECWolf/Zandronum/3DGE/EDuke32/Raze? Did your computer break? Ask here.

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Forum rules
Contrary to popular belief, we are not all-knowing-all-seeing magical beings!

If you want help you're going to have to provide lots of info. Like what is your hardware, what is your operating system, what version of GZDoom/LZDoom/whatever you're using, what mods you're loading, how you're loading it, what you've already tried for fixing the problem, and anything else that is even remotely relevant to the problem.

We can't magically figure out what it is if you're going to be vague, and if we feel like you're just wasting our time with guessing games we will act like that's what you're really doing and won't help you.
Sgt. Shivers

GZDoom crashing when loading D_Runnin on MAP01 in Doom 2?

Post by Sgt. Shivers »

Hi, for the last year or so I've been unable to run GZDoom with music turned on due to a very, very strange bug. Whenever I start a new game in GZDoom the application locks up when trying to start the game if I have music on.
I thought that loading music in general was crashing the game, but if I launched a new game on MAP02 everything ran fine. I could even go to Industrial Zone (which shares a midi file with MAP01 simply named differently) and the music would play just fine. This bug also effects TNT and Plutonia, since the first maps have D_Runnin as the music. Also, using IDMUS 01 will cause the application to freeze and the music will cut out.
I've tried just about everything to get it to work, editing the map info in gzdoom.pk3 to reference the same D_Runnin.mid file with a slightly different name (like D_Runing or something) will make it work, but I really don't want to mess with the GZDoom pk3. What appears to be causing the issue is specifically launching a game on Map01 with "D_Runnin.mid" being the audio track. The actual midi playing isn't the issue.
Going back to older versions hasn't changed anything, and every new version I've tried has the same issue.

Does anyone know what could possibly be causing this? It's a really bizzare and is the main thing keeping me from playing modern wads.
_mental_

Re: GZDoom crashing when loading D_Runnin on MAP01 in Doom 2

Post by _mental_ »

There is almost no information given. Here is the minimal list of questions:
  • What's the version of GZDoom?
  • What's the sound backend?
  • Do you have something in autoload list?
The best way to answer all these is to run the game with +logfile logfile.txt command line options and post content of created logfile.txt in this topic.
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

_mental_ wrote:Do you have something in autoload list?
It does sound [ahem] as if there might be a corrupted D_RUNNIN being autoloaded somehow so that whenever a mod/game tries to use D_RUNNIN the corrupt one gets used instead. It might not even be a music file, I guess. Like maybe there's a graphic or something in an autoloaded file that's called D_RUNNIN.

The logfile should identify all files loaded but you could also try running the game and adding -noautoload to the command line to prevent any normally autoloaded files being loaded.
Sgt. Shivers

Post by Sgt. Shivers »

_mental_ wrote:What's the version of GZDoom?
I've tried a few, and I still had the problem with the latest SVN, which is what I'm using now.
_mental_ wrote:What's the sound backend?
I'm using FModEX at the moment, but OpenAL still had the same problem.
_mental_ wrote:Do you have something in autoload list?
Nope.
Enjay wrote:It does sound [ahem] as if there might be a corrupted D_RUNNIN being autoloaded somehow so that whenever a mod/game tries to use D_RUNNIN the corrupt one gets used instead. It might not even be a music file, I guess. Like maybe there's a graphic or something in an autoloaded file that's called D_RUNNIN.
I've got nothing autoloaded, and I've tried multiple DOOM2.WAD IWADS.
Enjay wrote:The logfile should identify all files loaded but you could also try running the game and adding -noautoload to the command line to prevent any normally autoloaded files being loaded.
Here's the LogFile, I replaced my name in the filepath, but other than that it's untouched: https://www.dropbox.com/s/mha7nwumf63s4 ... e.txt?dl=0

Thanks for the quick response!
_mental_

Post by _mental_ »

If you really want to make this fixed we need to go deeper.
I see no other possibility to investigate the issue but to check a dump file.

Download the latest devbuild from here. Please note that bit-ness should match bit-ness of your Windows to make process simpler.
Start GZDoom and make it freeze. Follow instruction at the bottom of this page to create a memory dump using Windows Task Manager.
Then pack created .dmp file and upload it somewhere.
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

The most important question has not been asked yet:

What MIDI device are you using? And does the bug persist if you change it?
drfrag
Vintage GZDoom Developer

Post by drfrag »

The VST MIDI Driver can make ZDoom crash.
Gez

Post by Gez »

Sgt. Shivers wrote:I've tried a few, and I still had the problem with the latest SVN, which is what I'm using now.
The latest SVN is from 2013. :P
Sgt. Shivers

Post by Sgt. Shivers »

Graf Zahl wrote:The most important question has not been asked yet:

What MIDI device are you using? And does the bug persist if you change it?
I'm using the OPL emulator at the moment, and the bug persists with the other midi devices.
Gez wrote:
Sgt. Shivers wrote:I've tried a few, and I still had the problem with the latest SVN, which is what I'm using now.
So there's a more recent version than 2.5 ?
_mental_ wrote:If you really want to make this fixed we need to go deeper.
I see no other possibility to investigate the issue but to check a dump file.
I'll get around to that eventually, I've been quite busy.

Thanks for the help!
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

Sgt. Shivers wrote:
Gez wrote:
So there's a more recent version than 2.5 ?
No, ZDoom hasn't used SVN since 2013. The code is now hosted in a Git repository, not SVN. That was Gez's point.
Sgt. Shivers

Post by Sgt. Shivers »

Looking back at the earlier post I made, I think I worded my problem a bit poorly. The program doesn't completely lock up, but it does get stuck while loading the first map for a while. When it eventually lets me play again there is no music.
Also, I ran the latest version and created a .DMP file, but the filesize is too big for me to upload it anywhere...

Thank you for you patience!
Nevander

Post by Nevander »

I had this happen one time but only when I was using OpenAL. I always used FMOD before so I changed it back to FMOD and no problems since with crashes. In my experience, OpenAL sucks and is very error prone on my computer. I've completely disabled all OpenAL options in my INI and deleted the DLL. I don't need that headache.
Blue Shadow

Post by Blue Shadow »

Sucks for you then. Starting with GZDoom 3.0, FMod is gone, and your only option is to use OpenAL.
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

I can't see if this has been tried anywahere: have you tried loading a music track called D_RUNNIN that isn't a midi/mus file (e.g. an ogg)?
_mental_

Post by _mental_ »

Nevander wrote:I had this happen one time but only when I was using OpenAL. I always used FMOD before so I changed it back to FMOD and no problems since with crashes. In my experience, OpenAL sucks and is very error prone on my computer. I've completely disabled all OpenAL options in my INI and deleted the DLL. I don't need that headache.
Blue Shadow wrote:Sucks for you then. Starting with GZDoom 3.0, FMod is gone, and your only option is to use OpenAL.
Exactly. The same old story: instead of reporting issues people are keeping them privately or just complaining in some unrelated forum topics.

Return to “Technical Issues”