GZDoom Keeps Slowing Down

Need help running G/Q/ZDoom/ECWolf/Zandronum/3DGE/EDuke32/Raze? Did your computer break? Ask here.

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Forum rules
Contrary to popular belief, we are not all-knowing-all-seeing magical beings!

If you want help you're going to have to provide lots of info. Like what is your hardware, what is your operating system, what version of GZDoom/LZDoom/whatever you're using, what mods you're loading, how you're loading it, what you've already tried for fixing the problem, and anything else that is even remotely relevant to the problem.

We can't magically figure out what it is if you're going to be vague, and if we feel like you're just wasting our time with guessing games we will act like that's what you're really doing and won't help you.
Aerosplinter
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

GZDoom Keeps Slowing Down

Post by Aerosplinter »

I have an HP-15097nr. It may not be for gaming, but it runs well with some doom IWADS with minimal overheating, but depending on some Mods, it does overheat frequently. I do play a lot of mods such as Prodoomer v3.1, Brutal Doom v20b, and some weapon mods. Mostly the mods in Doom will run typically fine even with a low-spec laptop like mine, but as of yesterday, GZDoom suddenly slowed down like a slideshow in Plumbers Don't Wear Ties. At first, the audio did not play, so I restarted my computer. However when I returned to GZDoom, the menu screen was drastically slower than usual, taking 4 minutes to choose something in the menu... :evil: . Then I thought of some possible reasons why my computer slows down at the menu of GZDoom:

1. I usually play Doom and some mods without a fan under the laptop.
2. The mods probably overheat my computer.
3. The overheating probably messed up the internal components inside.

Computer Name: HP-15097nr
Specs:
Windows 10 (originally Windows 8)
Microprocessor: 2.16GHz Intel Celeron N2830 Processor
Memory: 4GB DDR3L SDRAM (1 DIMM)
Video Graphics: Intel HD graphics

So what? What is happening to my computer with GZDoom?
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Re: GZDoom Keeps Slowing Down

Post by wildweasel »

Please check the heat level of your computer and make sure you have some way to blow out the dust. Running your computer if it's overheating can produce very nasty results, from crashes to flat-out frying your system. If it's getting to that point, dust it out immediately.

Return to “Technical Issues”