GZDoom somehow running worse on more powerful hardware?

Need help running G/Q/ZDoom/ECWolf/Zandronum/3DGE? Did your computer break? Ask here.

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

GZDoom somehow running worse on more powerful hardware?

Postby UnbornDecay25 » Mon Dec 02, 2019 1:42 pm

The problem is in the name. I used to be able to get a solid 60-50 or at worse 30 fps when running practically any mod. While I can run doom vanilla just fine and some mods are also just fine, the rest is a trainwreck. Pirate Doom's first map, which should not be lagging a potato down, drops to 45 frames when the most chalenging thing in the level is a sneaky teleport halfway through the level. Even fucking Scythe 2 lags horribly. <Though I was running it with GMOTA, it still shouldnt have done that much harm>
My old computer ran GZ doom just fine. I'm running the latest stable version, and these are my specs. I do have the game to high performance, and Render Interpolation turned off, cause I know that tanks the framerate.

My specs are
- AMD Radeon Vega 8 Graphics
- Radeon RX 560X
- 16 GB of ram

I will provide anything else if its asked of me
UnbornDecay25

Re: GZDoom somehow running worse on more powerful hardware?

Postby Graf Zahl » Mon Dec 02, 2019 1:51 pm

With AMD hardware you should try the Vulkan renderer. AMD's OpenGL support seems to get worse with each new driver version.
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom Developer
Lead GZDoom Developer

Postby UnbornDecay25 » Mon Dec 02, 2019 1:53 pm

Graf Zahl wrote:With AMD hardware you should try the Vulkan renderer. AMD's OpenGL support seems to get worse with each new driver version.

I will give that a quick shot

THANK YOU! That worked so good! Now I'm upwards of 120 frames.
UnbornDecay25

Postby Rachael » Mon Dec 02, 2019 5:27 pm

And proof in the pudding that AMD's hardware is not at all bad - but their software is so shitty that we honest to god need open source drivers for Windows for them, like we have from Linux.
Rachael
Webmaster

Discord: Rachael#3767
Twitch ID: madamerachelle
Github ID: madame-rachelle
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Return to Technical Issues