ZDoom 3.7.1 .ini file a mess

Need help running G/Q/ZDoom/ECWolf/Zandronum/3DGE/EDuke32/Raze? Did your computer break? Ask here.

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Forum rules
Contrary to popular belief, we are not all-knowing-all-seeing magical beings!

If you want help you're going to have to provide lots of info. Like what is your hardware, what is your operating system, what version of GZDoom/LZDoom/whatever you're using, what mods you're loading, how you're loading it, what you've already tried for fixing the problem, and anything else that is even remotely relevant to the problem.

We can't magically figure out what it is if you're going to be vague, and if we feel like you're just wasting our time with guessing games we will act like that's what you're really doing and won't help you.
arxanaxra

ZDoom 3.7.1 .ini file a mess

Post by arxanaxra »

Hi all,
Up until this recent update the .ini file arrangement was pretty consistent and standard. Like this:

# This file was generated by GZDoom g1.8.2 on Sat Jan 05 10:05:03 2019

# These are the directories to automatically search for IWADs.
# Each directory should be on a separate line, preceded by Path=
[IWADSearch.Directories]
Path=C:\Games\doom2\plutonia\doom2.wad
Path=$HOME
Path=$PROGDIR

# These are the directories to search for wads added with the -file
# command line parameter, if they cannot be found with the path
# as-is. Layout is the same as for IWADSearch.Directories
[FileSearch.Directories]
Path=$PROGDIR
Path=$DOOMWADDIR
Path=

Now, though, the file for this latest version looks like this:

# This file was generated by GZDoom g3.7.1 on Sat Jan 12 13:01:01 2019# These are the directories to automatically search for IWADs.# Each directory should be on a separate line, preceded by Path=[IWADSearch.Directories]Path=.Path=$DOOMWADDIRPath=$HOMEPath=$PROGDIR# These are the directories to search for wads added with the -file# command line parameter, if they cannot be found with the path# as-is. Layout is the same as for IWADSearch.Directories[FileSearch.Directories]Path=$PROGDIRPath=$DOOMWADDIR# These are the directories to search for soundfonts that let listed in the menu.# Layout is the same as for

Straightening it out so it makes sense and isn't all jumbled is easy enough, if I paste the file in here it pastes logically,...hope this is making sense. But after playing and exiting it is all run together again. I can't figure it out and can only hope someone else has been having this issue and maybe figured out what is happening. Just using notepad as a text editor like I always have. I've tried playing the older version I have with edits to the file and it remains orderly, no runon, only this later version is doing it so it can't be something windows related. Anybody know anything about this?
Thanks.
Rachael
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Re: ZDoom 3.7.1 .ini file a mess

Post by Rachael »

GZDoom recently changed the line-endings for the .ini file. They are still there, and they are still standard, it's just not a standard that Windows notepad recognizes. You must use an alternative tool - like WordPad, or Notepad2, in order to edit the file.
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

To further explain, this happened because it now uses a file writing mechanism that doesn't go through the line ending filter in Microsoft's runtime library. And since Notepad is the only text editor having problems with it I see no point reverting to the inferior file handling.
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

Yup, it's come up a couple of times:

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=61901
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=62689
arxanaxra

Post by arxanaxra »

Thanks, it's a simple matter to use another text editor. All's good and appreciate the return.

Return to “Technical Issues”