Make Slade appear in my Open With menu?

Need help running G/Q/ZDoom/ECWolf/Zandronum/3DGE/EDuke32/Raze? Did your computer break? Ask here.

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Forum rules
Contrary to popular belief, we are not all-knowing-all-seeing magical beings!

If you want help you're going to have to provide lots of info. Like what is your hardware, what is your operating system, what version of GZDoom/LZDoom/whatever you're using, what mods you're loading, how you're loading it, what you've already tried for fixing the problem, and anything else that is even remotely relevant to the problem.

We can't magically figure out what it is if you're going to be vague, and if we feel like you're just wasting our time with guessing games we will act like that's what you're really doing and won't help you.
Enjay

Make Slade appear in my Open With menu?

Post by Enjay »

Can anyone help here? In Win 10, I'd like to be able to right-click a PK3 and go to the Open With option and find more than just one program listed. I have PK3s associated with 7zip but almost as often as opening them with 7zip, I want to open them with Slade. However, Slade doesn't appear as a quick option.
Spoiler:
I have opened PK3s in Slade many, many times so, if I pick "Choose another app"*, Win 10 already knows that I might want to do this:
Spoiler:
And I know that far more than one program can be listed because this is what I get when I right-click a PNG (with nothing particularly special done by me to set this up that I am aware of, other than having all these programs installed and in use).
Spoiler:
So, does anyone know of a way to get Slade to appear on the "Open with" menu so that I don't have to pick "Open with" and then "Choose another app" every time?

*As a side note, it bothers me that programs on my computer are now called "apps". A fully functioning office suite is not an "app". :P

And I never want to "Search the store" when opening a file on my computer. Stop it MicroSoft!
Mikk-

Re: Make Slade appear in my Open With menu?

Post by Mikk- »

I too have this issue but not with Slade but with GzDOOM. My .wad/.pk3 files just don't want to associate with the .exe meaning I can't just double-click them to load up GzDOOM - it brings me to the "How do you want to open this file?" popup. Very frustrating because this worked flawlessly on my previous install of win10
Rachael
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Rachael »

Have you tried creating Start Menu entries for Slade?

I'm not sure if that will work, but outside of modifying the registry directly, that seems to be the most logical place where Windows would look for applications to use for files.
Mr.Rocket

Post by Mr.Rocket »

From what I can tell this would work on applications that have an installation setup where it creates the reg entry, if scripted that way in its installation.
I agree, it seems it's a windows restriction, where if it's not a typical windows "app" and there's no valid privileges for it other than it being an extracted exe, then it's considered random to some degree and the user has to use the "open with" menu function.
"Open with" will only get you so far though, and at least places the exe in the list.
I'd imagen if the list was empty, and the only "app" that was there was Slade or Gzdoom, then it might run the file/pwad with a simple double click.

I suppose a couple batch files with shortcuts to them could still manage this also, though.

Return to “Technical Issues”