OpenBSD support?

Need help running G/Q/ZDoom/ECWolf/Zandronum/3DGE/EDuke32/Raze? Did your computer break? Ask here.

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Forum rules
Contrary to popular belief, we are not all-knowing-all-seeing magical beings!

If you want help you're going to have to provide lots of info. Like what is your hardware, what is your operating system, what version of GZDoom/LZDoom/whatever you're using, what mods you're loading, how you're loading it, what you've already tried for fixing the problem, and anything else that is even remotely relevant to the problem.

We can't magically figure out what it is if you're going to be vague, and if we feel like you're just wasting our time with guessing games we will act like that's what you're really doing and won't help you.
Rachael
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Re: OpenBSD support?

Post by Rachael »

I tested the master branch for GZDoom, directly. I didn't use mods though, my OpenBSD setup is rather bare and currently only contains shareware Doom in order to test the rendering output.

I'll test Hexen though. I am sorry but I really want to distance myself from Brutal Doom and would avoid it at all costs if I can, I'll only load it if I absolutely have to and there's no other way.
lea0342

Post by lea0342 »

haha i understand, i dont play with it myself even, i used to play with prboom and chocolate hexen for many many time, but now i like a little newer experience and i am using ketchup mod only for replaying some maps, i only tested it because that i know that a lot of people love it, thats why i was testing a little of everything myself.

At home i will test the master branch instead of the g3.3.2 to check if i can see if the errors are still there, but i suppose that master is older than tag g3.3.2 right or is the other way around right now?

Thanks for everything!
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

Master is the active development branch, so it will always be newer than a tag.

Anyway - I went ahead to give it a go - unfortunately, my experience in debugging with POSIX tools is absolutely nil. :( But I got the error.

Hoping someone who is proficient with gdb can possibly help me trace the error.
_mental_

Post by _mental_ »

Seems like GDB was unable to parse debug information.

I saw similar issues with custom built GCC on PowerPC Mac.
The only solution I found is to lower version of DWARF via command line for compiler.

This could be a totally different problem though. Probably it's a side effect of memory corruption.

BTW what's the version of GCC or Clang is used?
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

This is what mine says:

Code: Select all

OpenBSD clang version 5.0.1 (tags/RELEASE_501/final) (based on LLVM 5.0.1)
Target: amd64-unknown-openbsd6.3
Thread model: posix
InstalledDir: /usr/bin
_mental_

Post by _mental_ »

Compiler is good but the version of GDB is quite old. Does it have a newer version or LLDB maybe?
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

I'm investigating installing LLDB on it now, but it's possible I may have to do that manually. Hopefully it's not going to make me clone the entire LLVM repository to get it - because that behemoth is a bloody nightmare to manage, especially on a virtual machine, even as lightweight as OpenBSD is.
_mental_

Post by _mental_ »

You can try to add -ggdb compiler switch instead.

EDIT: And -gdwarf-2 may help too.
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

Recompiling now... really wish I didn't have to edit CMakeLists.txt to do that.
_mental_

Post by _mental_ »

You can specify additional compiler options via -DCMAKE_C_FLAGS=... and -DCMAKE_CXX_FLAGS=... in command line.
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

Unfortunately it was still outputting the same style of debugging information as before, and GDB still said it was "corrupted" (was it really?)

I'm taking a break from this, for now, getting a bit frustrated with it and I need to rest.

If anyone else wants to try it, here's a few notes about OpenBSD's X environment:

If you don't mind a garishly-looking desktop, deploying OpenBSD with a simple X server with Xterm for the purposes of debugging is pretty easy to do. If you need something a little bit more modern-looking though, there are metapackages available for Xfce, MATE, Cinnamon, KDE, and a few other familiar desktop environments.

As a note, though, OpenBSD's default X server starts in "retro" mode, so if you don't have something to change the wallpaper it's going to irritate your eyes very quickly. (Personally, I just use putty with VcXSrv and SSH in and get a desktop environment that way, it's a lot easier for me)
kevans91

Post by kevans91 »

Rachael wrote:Unfortunately it was still outputting the same style of debugging information as before, and GDB still said it was "corrupted" (was it really?)

I'm taking a break from this, for now, getting a bit frustrated with it and I need to rest.

If anyone else wants to try it, here's a few notes about OpenBSD's X environment:

If you don't mind a garishly-looking desktop, deploying OpenBSD with a simple X server with Xterm for the purposes of debugging is pretty easy to do. If you need something a little bit more modern-looking though, there are metapackages available for Xfce, MATE, Cinnamon, KDE, and a few other familiar desktop environments.

As a note, though, OpenBSD's default X server starts in "retro" mode, so if you don't have something to change the wallpaper it's going to irritate your eyes very quickly. (Personally, I just use putty with VcXSrv and SSH in and get a desktop environment that way, it's a lot easier for me)
Would it be easy for you to confirm if FreeBSD + Hexen behaves similarly? More than happy to debug it from there, but locating my Hexen media is going to be a little bit of a bear that I'd rather not poke unless I need to. =) Also understandable if you'd rather not try this combination, of course.
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

I'll take a look.
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

The FreeBSD version works just fine, no errors.

I tried to bring it to OpenBSD though, and got an exec error. This is an executable, if anyone else is interested. (You might need an ad blocker, sendspace has some nasty ads) It was compiled in FreeBSD - I would've thought it SHOULD work just fine in OpenBSD. Guess I was wrong.

Return to “Technical Issues”