GZDooM 3.X.X Freezing/Locking up

Need help running G/Q/ZDoom/ECWolf/Zandronum/3DGE/EDuke32/Raze? Did your computer break? Ask here.

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Forum rules
Contrary to popular belief, we are not all-knowing-all-seeing magical beings!

If you want help you're going to have to provide lots of info. Like what is your hardware, what is your operating system, what version of GZDoom/LZDoom/whatever you're using, what mods you're loading, how you're loading it, what you've already tried for fixing the problem, and anything else that is even remotely relevant to the problem.

We can't magically figure out what it is if you're going to be vague, and if we feel like you're just wasting our time with guessing games we will act like that's what you're really doing and won't help you.

GZDooM 3.X.X Freezing/Locking up

Post by Guest »

So recently around the beginning of April I started running into the game freezing around the stable releases of 3.2.X I believe. At random/unpredictable occurrences the game will freeze for around 5 seconds, and the audio play again as if nothing happened EXCEPT the video stays locked/frozen. I haven't run into this issue in previous versions, so I can only guess that it came from a system update, or as I've found in some posts, my system's processor, some more info would be much appreciated.
-Currently running the latest version of GZdoom v3.3.2
-Specs
Processor: Intel Celeron N3050 1.60GHz
Ram: 4GB
Graphics: Intel HD Graphics (I know it's crap)
-P.S also running most up to date drivers
Rachael
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Re: GZDooM 3.X.X Freezing/Locking up

Post by Rachael »

There is a bug in the Intel drivers that, for whatever reason, when the GPU reaches a certain temperature it will cease rendering but it will not reset when it's safe to do so. There's no fix for this, certainly not from Intel's side, but nothing we can do on our side either.

Basically, running in lower detail modes, turning off anti-aliasing, lowering your resolution, turning on VSync, avoid mods that use custom shaders, things like that, will all help to mitigate this issue.

Return to “Technical Issues”