Framerate drops to single digits in random bursts

Need help running G/Q/ZDoom/ECWolf/Zandronum/3DGE/EDuke32/Raze? Did your computer break? Ask here.

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Forum rules
Contrary to popular belief, we are not all-knowing-all-seeing magical beings!

If you want help you're going to have to provide lots of info. Like what is your hardware, what is your operating system, what version of GZDoom/LZDoom/whatever you're using, what mods you're loading, how you're loading it, what you've already tried for fixing the problem, and anything else that is even remotely relevant to the problem.

We can't magically figure out what it is if you're going to be vague, and if we feel like you're just wasting our time with guessing games we will act like that's what you're really doing and won't help you.
TootsyBowl

Framerate drops to single digits in random bursts

Post by TootsyBowl »

Happens randomly, even in them menus. It fixes itself in a few seconds but it's getting quite annoying. Otherwise the framerate is smooth and playable.
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Re: Framerate drops to single digits in random bursts

Post by Graf Zahl »

That sounds like some background task is periodically stealing some time. Can be some antivirus, some malware or even a badly behaved driver. I'm afraid you'll have to dig around in your system to find what is causing it. GZDoom is particularly susceptible to such antics because it normally runs one CPU core at 100%.
TootsyBowl

Post by TootsyBowl »

Graf Zahl wrote:That sounds like some background task is periodically stealing some time. Can be some antivirus, some malware or even a badly behaved driver. I'm afraid you'll have to dig around in your system to find what is causing it. GZDoom is particularly susceptible to such antics because it normally runs one CPU core at 100%.
I often have Chrome open in the background and I'm certain my ESET antivirus runs all the time. I heard ESET eats up a lot of resources.
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

It's generally wise to close web browsers while playing (especially if you leave them on pages like TweetDeck or Facebook that are constantly auto-refreshing or running scripts in the background), and most decent anti-virus programs should have a "gaming mode" that will cause them to stop bothering you while a game is running (I usually had this on 100% of the time back when I had Avast installed).

Return to “Technical Issues”