ZDoom multiplayer setup, troubleshooting and FAQ

Talk about multiplayer ZDoom games here.
Forum rules
edward850

Re: ZDoom multiplayer setup, troubleshooting and FAQ

Post by edward850 »

UDP hole punching is a gateway traversal technique, not something you yourself need to setup. Once you've foward the necessary port on the host, you're set (so nothing changed from doing a 2 player game). I'm a little confused because nowhere has anybody implied otherwise.
XCOPY

Post by XCOPY »

"A person joining a game does not need to specify any additional parameters aside from loading any custom WADs or DeHackEd patches that the host is using."

ZDoom needs a lobby to address this, and I think that the Tox protocol is a reasonable solution as it seems to work even on LAN, the rest is a plugin to show rooms, latency, handle command line parameters and download mods using something like wad-archive.
LastManonEarth

Post by LastManonEarth »

Did not find another place to ask this: Which is the command I need to use to make the ¨players block each other normally¨. I want to use this feature and block my friend when playing multiplayer.
edward850

Post by edward850 »

That's already the behaviour in Doom since 1993. ZDoom naturally keeps it by design.
LastManonEarth

Post by LastManonEarth »

Sorry as doomseeker allows to use this feature I thought that there was a CVAR I was missing to create this physic behavior. Thanks.
Danfun64

Post by Danfun64 »

Does ZDoom have -extratics? Not -extratic, -extratics, as in -extratics 3 -dup 2. Those are the settings I use in crispy doom, and since I hear the netcode of zdoom isn't that different, I'm curious if -extratics exists, especially since it isn't mentioned in the wiki.
InsanityBringer

Post by InsanityBringer »

I don't believe you can configure extratics, the only option you have is extratic, sadly
Danfun64

Post by Danfun64 »

So how is zdoom's netcode compared to crispy doom anyway?
InsanityBringer

Post by InsanityBringer »

Well, at the end of the day its a P2P networking system where all clients tell every other client what inputs they performed and then every client runs the game using the collected input (though there's a little more to it to keep it smooth). I believe crispy doom does something similar (since its what vanilla did), though a lot of implementation details likely vary.
Danfun64

Post by Danfun64 »

So what's ZDoom's closest equivalent to crispy doom's -extratics 3 -dup 2?

Before you ask, I don't want to touch Zandronum until it has OpenAL Support and gains 2.8.x's ARM fixes.
Last edited by Danfun64 on Tue Oct 18, 2016 1:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Goldenflare5643

Post by Goldenflare5643 »

Wait, where do I type the codes to set up\join the game in? Do I do it in the game console (pressing '~' key while in a level) or do I do it some where else? :| :?: :|
Rachael
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Rachael »

You have to do it from the command line.

Player 1 types: zdoom -file <wad> -host <number players> i.e. "zdoom -file worlddomination.pk3 -host 3"
Players 2 & 3 need Player 1's IP address, then they type zdoom -file <wad> -join <player 1's ip> i.e. "zdoom -file worlddomination.pk3 -join 123.45.67.89"

More info: [wiki]Multiplayer[/wiki]
Goldenflare5643

What do you mean by command line? The only place I know that you can use to enter commands is the drop down interface you get when you press the '~' key, sorry for being some what of dufus when it comes to things like this...
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

Goldenflare5643 wrote:What do you mean by command line? The only place I know that you can use to enter commands is the drop down interface you get when you press the '~' key, sorry for being some what of dufus when it comes to things like this...
The "command line" is usually for options and switches being given to a program before it even starts, usually by creating a shortcut and editing it, using the Run dialogue, or with a launcher. See this wiki article for more.
Goldenflare5643

Oh nice!
Thank you, also, if I want to make a batch file that automatically opens a multiplayer game, do I just type in the commands from the first post on this topic into the bat file?

Return to “Networking”