[Request] ZDoomLauncher (ZDL) Tutorial?

Talk about multiplayer ZDoom games here.
Forum rules
RV-007

[Request] ZDoomLauncher (ZDL) Tutorial?

Post by RV-007 »

Cutmanmike wrote:Unleashed is an outdated and horrible launcher (The GUI just makes me cringe).

I would first suggest trying a friendlier launcher. ZDL is a great choice: http://zdoom.org/wiki/ZDL
I think ZDL looks like it can emulate all of the recent zdoom-supported code (I dare say even more than Skulltag) that my wad can muster.
Can anyone help me how to connect to a ZDL online host/server? I tried to make one computer to be both server and client w/ a public IP address.
Also, I am using the GZDoom source port for both server and client.

I would like to know the stackful pancakes of a ZDL tutorial.
NeuralStunner

Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Re: [Request] ZDoomLauncher (ZDL) Tutorial?

Post by NeuralStunner »

ZDL has no netcode. It doesn't emulate anything, either...
RV-007

Post by RV-007 »

Can ZDL make a server and client like Skulltag? ZDL seems to read out most of the Zdoom codes than the other Doom networking applications.
Project Shadowcat
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10

Post by Project Shadowcat »

ZDL is just a launcher. All it does is run (G)ZDoom. So no.
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

Yup, just a launcher (though a nice simple one). It is not like Doomseeker or whatever. It doesn't seek out servers etc. All it does is allow you to have a GUI that replaces the old fashioned:

zdoom -iwad doom2.wad -file mywad.wad -warp 01 -skill 4 (etc)

command line structure with something easier for most users. It has a simple drag/drop and menu interface for the most common functions and a space for you to type in any of the less commonly used command line parameters. These all get passed to ZDoom.exe and the program runs. However, that's all it does: provides a nice interface and then passes the result of that interface on to ZDoom.exe.

It is perhaps worth pointing out, however, that ZDoom can run net games and these can also be started via command line options (which ZDL supports via a text entry box). However, much like the original Doom, all computers playing the game need to be started at the same time with complimentary command line options. There is no client/server system for example and you can not set up a host and then join an already running game of ZDoom with another computer.
jpalomo

Post by jpalomo »

Host computer:
If you are using ZDL 3.1, right next to the Launch button should be an arrow button. Push that and click on the drop window for the game mode. Next, select how many players you want to have in the game (it won't finish loading until all players have joined). Adjust the DMFLAGS and Frag limit as needed and put in any other command line arguments. Launch the game, and wait for the other player(s) to connect.
Any other computer:
Select the appropriate game mode from the drop window. Under the players drop window, select "joining" since you aren't hosting the game. Enter the IP address of the machine you want to connect to in the window. Make sure you are running the same WADs as the host, then click launch.
RV-007

Post by RV-007 »

Project Dark Fox wrote:ZDL is just a launcher. All it does is run (G)ZDoom. So no.
NOOO!!!!! Ok, can Zdoom run a server/client on the internet (not a LAN [which may require private IP address])?
Tapwave
Preferred Pronouns: No Preference

Post by Tapwave »

RV-007 wrote:
Project Dark Fox wrote:ZDL is just a launcher. All it does is run (G)ZDoom. So no.
NOOO!!!!! Ok, can Zdoom run a server/client on the internet (not a LAN [which may require private IP address])?
Yes.
NeuralStunner

Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Post by NeuralStunner »

RV-007 wrote:(not a LAN [which may require private IP address])?
A WAN IP is required to play across the internet. A LAN IP is going to be completely useless to anyone not on the network. So your concern there is backwards, heh.

Granted, getting someone's IP is not all that hard to do. If someone intends to cause trouble with it, you're screwed anyway.

Return to “Networking”