Page 1 of 2

Zdoom multi-player?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 4:45 am
by lolwut?
(im new here lolwut)

So im asking here about the zdoom multiplayer. i goed to wiki and learned the join commands and how to host and more. I would wanna go play Instant action 3 in multi, but how does other people see my game's ip? Do i need to post it into this forum or what :?

Re: Zdoom multi-player?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 12:44 pm
by NeuralStunner
ZDoom itself plays over a LAN (local network). Usually an internet service assigns you an IP, then any computers attached to that use a sort of sub-IP specific to your local network. So knowing your IP only helps for other computers on the same network. Other networks could easily have the same IPs assigned to their own computers.

If you're looking to play over the internet, Skulltag is what you need.

Re: Zdoom multi-player?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 4:03 pm
by Ceeb
You can play online in ZDoom. I use ZDL. Have the person with the fastest connection host, and then have your pals join with your IP.

Re: Zdoom multi-player?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 11:14 pm
by Kappes Buur
There is a section just for you:

Image

But anyways,
the host starts the process with the number of players (including the host),
the other players then join the game with the host's IP address.

Re: Zdoom multi-player?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 11:19 pm
by Captain Ventris
I think I only discovered that we had a Networking forum last year.

Re: Zdoom multi-player?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 10:30 am
by lolwut?
Kappes Buur wrote:There is a section just for you:

Image

But anyways,
the host starts the process with the number of players (including the host),
the other players then join the game with the host's IP address.


It not there. And i know skulltag, but server making in it is annyoing and all wads dont have skulltag support.

Re: Zdoom multi-player?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 10:41 am
by TheDarkArchon
lolwut? wrote:It not there.


You're not looking hard enough.

And i know skulltag, but server making in it is annyoing


Ho boy, you haven't seen anything yet

and all wads dont have skulltag support.


There are some WADs that don't have ZDoom support, either.

Re: Zdoom multi-player?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 12:19 pm
by Siggi
I'm not sure why I didn't move this earlier.

Re: Zdoom multi-player?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 12:32 pm
by lolwut?
TheDarkArchon wrote:
lolwut? wrote:It not there.


You're not looking hard enough.

And i know skulltag, but server making in it is annyoing


Ho boy, you haven't seen anything yet

and all wads dont have skulltag support.


There are some WADs that don't have ZDoom support, either.


It wasnt there or im blind:P
Skulltag IS annyoing. if i create server, it dosent even appear to server list.

Re: Zdoom multi-player?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 12:42 pm
by Zhs2
lolwut? wrote:Skulltag IS annyoing. if i create server, it dosent even appear to server list.

This tends to happen often, no matter whether or not you tell Skulltag to broadcast to LAN - only Windows seems to have this problem, too; I haven't had it happen on a Linux distro yet. Easiest solution is to load up Skulltag with the same wads as the server and use the internal browser to locate your server via local methods.

Re: Zdoom multi-player?

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 12:36 am
by zalgax
My friend and I just tried playing multiplayer hexen and doom 2. We cant get it to work. We are on a laptop with Win 7 and a desktop with XP media center. Help plz?

Re: Zdoom multi-player?

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2010 11:40 pm
by edward850
Would be nice if you told us whats not working, so we can get an idea on what you are possibly doing wrong.

Re: Zdoom multi-player?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 9:37 am
by zalgax
well, I'm using unleashed. And we tried both doom2 and Hexen. It launches the game on the hosts end and the other person cannot join for some reason. We checked the settings over and over and it appears to be correct. Any other info you need?

Re: Zdoom multi-player?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 9:43 am
by Cutmanmike
Unleashed is an outdated and horrible launcher (The GUI just makes me cringe).

I would first suggest trying a friendlier launcher. ZDL is a great choice: http://zdoom.org/wiki/ZDL

Re: Zdoom multi-player?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 3:31 pm
by edward850
zalgax wrote:well, I'm using unleashed. And we tried both doom2 and Hexen. It launches the game on the hosts end and the other person cannot join for some reason. We checked the settings over and over and it appears to be correct. Any other info you need?

Make sure your ports (5029 UDP in this case) is forwarded on the hosts router and allowed on any firewalls you may have.