Translating GZDoom's text content. Read if you want to help

Here, developers communicate stuff that does not go onto the main News section or the front page of the site.
[Dev Blog] [Development Builds] [Git Change Log] [GZDoom Github Repo]

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Re: Translating GZDoom's text content. Read if you want to h

Post by Graf Zahl »

I cannot judge the desirability. That's for the Swedish users to decide... ;)
Of course I'll take all languages I can get.
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

Graf Zahl wrote:(Irish and Scottish on the other hand are mostly irrelevant.)
To be fair, there isn't really even a "Scottish language" as such. The Scottish government ploughs millions into propping up Scottish Gaelic, making bilingual signs, providing huge subsidies for people who incorporat Gaelic into their documentation, or education centres that offer courses in Gaelic etc, but that is mostly a political thing to help create a Scottish identity (nationalist government). I'm personally convinced that our first minister (leader of the government) took a trip to Wales, saw all the bilingual signs and thought "I want that".

No one *needs* those signs. They do make sense on the far West coast where Gaelic is spoken commonly by some people (But, even then, still no one needs them and everyone can speak English and, for the majority, English is their first language) but having Gaelic forced on other parts of the country where Gaelic has never been spoken and where other Scottish languages and dialects are used is just crass. Gaelic is simply not spoken here and the extra words just clutter up signs and documents.
drfrag
Vintage GZDoom Developer

Post by drfrag »

Graf Zahl wrote:Of course I'll take all languages I can get.
Plz someone add Klingon and Quenya. :)
Kostov

Post by Kostov »

Graf Zahl wrote:I cannot judge the desirability. That's for the Swedish users to decide... ;)
Of course I'll take all languages I can get.
The desirability will definitely be low, but having all major European languages translated would be fun and impressive.
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

Enjay wrote: No one *needs* those signs. They do make sense on the far West coast where Gaelic is spoken commonly by some people (But, even then, still no one needs them and everyone can speak English and, for the majority, English is their first language) but having Gaelic forced on other parts of the country where Gaelic has never been spoken and where other Scottish languages and dialects are used is just crass. Gaelic is simply not spoken here and the extra words just clutter up signs and documents.

Yeah, but it's not just Scotland - you can find this in nearly any region where some regional languages exist. Most can be attributed to EU regulations trying to keep these languages alive.
We got the same thing in a few regions in Germany - nobody *needs* these signs - but they are a political symbol. This gets particuarly rídiculous when considering one language spoken only by around 2000 people in 3 villages in northern Germany (total population of those villages is 10000) There's an insane effort going on trying to preserve the language, which for all intents and purposes has lost its reason for existence and without intervention would be gone one generation ahead.

In the end these language politics are a clear sign of an administration that has lost sight of the important issues and too many people with too much time on their hands to waste it on such things that do not benefit anybody. But since language is being considered part of culture and culture has always evaded any logical approach it is deemed important. In the past, languages which fell out of favor just died out - the people just adapted to the more widely used language of the region. Nowadays the opposite is happening, from a logical standpoint it's totally bonkers.
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

I added a few missing texts to the menu as pointed out elsewhere and in order to get this done quickly for an upcoming point release made machine translations for those languages where I could reasonably verify the result, i.e. French, Spanish, Portuguese, Italian and Dutch.

I skipped the machine translations for other languages where I could not tell whether it is correct or not, i.e. Czech, Finnish, Polish, Russian, Serbian, Japanese and Korean.
Kostov

Post by Kostov »

Serbian is filled in, and I'll add Russian as soon as I can. Is "Tonemap Palette Colormap" supposed to be red?
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

Read my bug report about that text. Red means "yet to be translated", but with this text I have no idea what it means, it first needs to be clarified.
Xeotroid
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Xeotroid »

I stared at it for five minutes, trying to think of how one of the maps correlated to the other map and concluded that I have no idea.Thinking about it now, though, does it mean that you get to choose what colormap to use for the "Palette" tonemap (that effectively lowers the bit depth of the output, sorta simulating the software renderer)? Like using the Hexen palette while playing Doom, or something like that?
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

I have no idea, that's why I marked it red.
This text came from a pull request but when adding it I didn't think about it being nonsensical.
drfrag
Vintage GZDoom Developer

Post by drfrag »

But that PR hasn't been merged yet.
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

Yes, but the text still needs to be cleared.
Kostov

Post by Kostov »

I fixed some errors in the Serbian translation. The macros table also needs to updated.
Gez

Post by Gez »

So it's from this PR:
https://github.com/coelckers/gzdoom/pull/817

I've just asked what it meant in the PR thread.
drfrag
Vintage GZDoom Developer

Post by drfrag »

- Extend UpdateTextures() so it can use the new function to generate a
lut with a neutral colourmap for the palette shader
The options are neutral and Doom which i presume was the original.

Return to “Developer Blog”