Translating GZDoom's text content. Read if you want to help

Here, developers communicate stuff that does not go onto the main News section or the front page of the site.
[Dev Blog] [Development Builds] [Git Change Log] [GZDoom Github Repo]

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Re: Translating GZDoom's text content. Read if you want to h

Post by Graf Zahl »

Yes, the original game still had it in a usable way. But take some follow-up developers who prefer hacks over clean implementations and things look very different. There's also quite a bit of text spread out through the source code.

EDuke uses the quotes as an editable string store in its CON scripts so have fun trying to translate content that can be altered at will. You cannot inject labels anymore without breaking stuff. Ion Fury makes heavy use on this, essentially rendering the game untranslatable and making it very, very hard to make the other games that can run on the same engine translatable. The World Tour system is exactly what I would have done myself - before allowing scripts to screw up the data.
Gez

Post by Gez »

I like the "AuotAiming" setting.
theleo_ua
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

Post by theleo_ua »

Graf Zahl wrote:I finally managed to export all language content to a spreadsheet. Here are links to a couple of Google spreadsheets.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing (Engine)
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing (Game)
Hi

Could you please give me edit access to those spreadsheets? I send request in both google sheets

I'm working with Undead (aka Nemrtvi) on Russian translations, but for some reasons he will not have time in future, so I decided to continue his work
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

Done
Kostov

Post by Kostov »

theleo_ua wrote:I'm working with Undead (aka Nemrtvi) on Russian translations, but for some reasons he will not have time in future, so I decided to continue his work
I think I will have more time around the middle of January, actually, if anything is needed. I've been hard at work on a translation of S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Shadow of Chernobyl into Serbian, and I'd be glad to continue the Serbian Strife translation after I sort out some things.
Rachael
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Rachael »

Do we bother translating these: OpenGL, Vulkan, SoftPoly (these are the names of the backends/rendering API's)?

If not, there's probably no real reason to put these strings in the Engine Strings file, is there?

I'm putting them in, just in case. There's probably some esoteric language out there that muddles even with proper names.
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

Put everything in. You never know what some languages need to adjust names to their grammar.
Rachael
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Rachael »

They're in.
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Post by Captain J »

Fixed the korean translation of Level 3: The Gantlet, 난관 into 건틀릿. I have no idea why did i missed that!
Cacodemon345
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD (Modern GZDoom)

Post by Cacodemon345 »

I converted the unifont_jp package's BDF font into the hex format suitable for use with GZDoom.
Do note that the prompt line in the console prompt doesn't work just right yet; the block character and the third bracket "[" character appear as boxes with text inside them for some weird reason, although they seem to appear correctly when logged. Typing text works correctly, however the block character goes too further.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/16Cc9Ni ... sp=sharing
Triple_sSs

Post by Triple_sSs »

Saluton denove. So I think the Esperanto translation is at a point to where we can say it's good enough for inclusion! This covers all the required games plus Chex Quest as well. We might make some more updates/fixes gradually down the line, but for now we think it's good enough for inclusion in the next GZDoom release. :)
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

Cacodemon345 wrote:I converted the unifont_jp package's BDF font into the hex format suitable for use with GZDoom.
Do note that the prompt line in the console prompt doesn't work just right yet; the block character and the third bracket "[" character appear as boxes with text inside them for some weird reason, although they seem to appear correctly when logged. Typing text works correctly, however the block character goes too further.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/16Cc9Ni ... sp=sharing
Sorry for the belated response, I missed this post over Christmas. I just checked the font and unfortunately I cannot use it as-is, It replaces lots of non-Japanese characters and even contains code points beyond 0xffff. Since I cannot read any of the Asian languages I cannot extract the parts needed for displaying Japanese properly. Can you please remove all parts not relevant? Then I'd replace the Chinese code points, because Japanese clearly is more important.
Cacodemon345

Post by Cacodemon345 »

A quick Internet search got me this table:

Code: Select all

Block                                   Range       Comment
CJK Unified Ideographs                  4E00-9FFF   Common
CJK Unified Ideographs Extension A      3400-4DBF   Rare
CJK Unified Ideographs Extension B      20000-2A6DF Rare, historic
CJK Unified Ideographs Extension C      2A700–2B73F Rare, historic
CJK Unified Ideographs Extension D      2B740–2B81F Uncommon, some in current use
CJK Unified Ideographs Extension E      2B820–2CEAF Rare, historic
CJK Compatibility Ideographs            F900-FAFF   Duplicates, unifiable variants, corporate characters
CJK Compatibility Ideographs Supplement 2F800-2FA1F Unifiable variants
I will need to get the 4E00-9FFF and the 3400-4DBF portions extracted, and maybe F900-FAFF portions. I can't really go further than this however.
Cacodemon345

Post by Cacodemon345 »

Apparently I was lucky to have found the "unibdf2hex" font, which is hardcoded to extract only CJK portions of the Unifont's BDF version.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/py4hzlh8khm8n2i/jap.hex?dl=1
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

I just got a large batch of Romanian texts submitted in private and added them to the file - 500 lines in Engine Strings.

Return to “Developer Blog”