Translating GZDoom's text content. Read if you want to help

Here, developers communicate stuff that does not go onto the main News section or the front page of the site.
[Dev Blog] [Development Builds] [Git Change Log] [GZDoom Github Repo]

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Re: Translating GZDoom's text content. Read if you want to h

Post by Graf Zahl »

If you want direct access, please open a request on the original docs, that'd make it a lot easier than copy/pasting stuff I do not understand. Czech is one language where I'm completely lost.
That said, the menus would be more useful to have than the Strife dialogue, but whatever suits you, it will be appreciated.
Xeotroid
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Xeotroid »

Requests sent. Yeah, I can focus on the engine strings first.

Edit: I noticed the macros tab, I'm guessing those are used for custom player name declension (genitive, dativ, accusative, etc. cases)? Czech isn't exactly stable with that stuff. Jan - Jana, Honza - Honzu, Pavel - Pavla, Matěj - Matěje, all the same noun case changes, all masculine grammatical gender, and all have different suffixes. Probably the same thing in Russian.
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

How would you suggest to deal with that?
In a milder form the same problem also exists in German with the possessive form of names ending with an 's', but I have no working solution for that, if it is actually possible to detect these programmatically it might require some scripting code. What I did for the German obituaries was to avoid the cases where the problem occurs as best as possible, but in some cases it's still present.

Fortunately it's only the obituaries where names get inserted - in all other cases where grammatical gender affects some text being addressed at the player should be solvable because at worst you can always put the entire sentence into a macro if no other solution is possible.
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

Regarding Czech, one thing that definitely needs to change is the stealth monster obituaries. They use the old hard coded pronoun replacement logic which only can do English. That's lines 348-359 in the Engine Strings table. For the ones containing a %k in English you have to see if this can be done without running into the cases you described above. If not, write something that leaves out the killer's name. That's sub-optimal but still better than gibberish.
Xeotroid

Post by Xeotroid »

Yeah, I know. The only "automated" (in massive quotes) solution I've seen was on Facebook where they probably took a database of common names and had the correct declension for each of those. Player customisation in-game would be a dumb, overcomplicated idea too. Imagine Finnish with its 15 cases.
Although one of the names in the obituaries should always be declensed ("%k killed %o" would change %o's name, "%o was killed by %k" would change %k's name), it probably isn't a big deal to leave them unchanged. It will be perfectly understandable, just clumsy, but in multiplayer that's fine. Another solution would be to preface all names that would need to be changed with the word for "player," because then it's declensed by that word, not by the actual name. That's fine for some UIs but it would make the obituary long and clumsy. Leaving out the killer's name seems very sub-optimal, you only get a half of information with that obituary, then.

%g replacement seems easy, a macro identical to Polish's ao_pl would be used to append to the verb (saw) instead of adding a pronoun.
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

For multiplayer the sentence is actually "%o was killed by %k's weapon" in most cases, I wonder if it yields more stable results by rewriting this like %o was killed by %k with a weapon. You'll have to decide, fortunately this is only relevant for multiplayer so it's of lesser concern.
Xeotroid

Post by Xeotroid »

This is probably a dumb question, but the macros in obituaries only look for the victim's gender, not the killer's, right? Since if that's the case, the Russian translation approach of slapping "player" in front of every name in deathmatch is probably inevitable. That way would also render a bunch of newly made macros useless (thankfully).
Matt
Preferred Pronouns: They/Them
Operating System Version (Optional): Debian Bullseye
Location: Gotham City SAR, Wyld-Lands of the Lotus People, Dominionist PetroConfederacy of Saudi Canadia

Post by Matt »

Only the victim's - I've tried fixing the "checks ___ glasses" obit and no dice.
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

Sadly, no. It'd make macro replacement a two-dimensional problem for very little gain as it's only useful for the multiplayer obituaries. Only considering the player itself it's only one-dimensional and a lot simpler
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

Czech engine strings are complete. That was truly impressive work. ;)

In light of this I went ahead and added all missing Nordic and Eastern European characters to the Raven BigFonts.
I'll try to do the same for the Strife SmallFont tomorrow.
About the Strife and Chex BigFonts we will have to see what can be done, those fonts are a bit more complex than the rest.
Kostov

Post by Kostov »

I finished Polish smallfont characters for Strife a few days ago. I just don’t have the BIGFONT ready, since I need help with that for Raven (and possibly Strife, not sure). I could just submit my current Polish smallfont characters right now if now is a good time.
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

Please do. Less work for me tomorrow. ;)

The Raven BigFont wasn't so hard, actually, aside from the 4 Nordic characters the only ones that required a bit of work were the Polish a and e with ogonek, the rest was just copy/pasting some accents.
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

Czech is sufficiently complete for inclusion in the menu now, I just need to finish the Strife and Chex Quest BigFonts for that, they should have all needed characters tomorrow.
Unfortunately with the Chex font I'll not be able to fill in the missing Nordic characters like I did for the other fonts - I'll have to limit myself to what's really needed there.
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

Fonts for Czech and Polish are complete. Esperanto, too, because it was just some simple accent edits that didn't cost any signficant time.
Romanian, Hungarian and Nordic are complete, aside from Doom's and Chex Quest's BigFont.

This should cover most relevant Latin characters, except for the Baltic languages, which I do not consider likely to be supported.

Return to “Developer Blog”