Translating GZDoom's text content. Read if you want to help

Here, developers communicate stuff that does not go onto the main News section or the front page of the site.
[Dev Blog] [Development Builds] [Git Change Log] [GZDoom Github Repo]

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Re: Translating GZDoom's text content. Read if you want to h

Post by Graf Zahl »

Update about the current translation state:

The following languages have been started, but are inactive with insufficient content: Greek, Esperanto, Hungarian and Romanian. No work has recently been done. Unless some really dedicated translator starts working on these I see no chance to make them officially supported.

Finnish looks better but also needs a bit more coverage to be put in the menu. Only a very small number of Raven/Strife texts have been done so far.

The following languages are active in the menu but still missing content:

Italian: Missing Hexen text screens, most of Strife's dialogues, and none of Chex Quest, Hacx and Harmony was translated. For the last 3 games I tried to fill in as much as possible with Google Translate but I won't give any guarantees about correctness and quality of translation here, it was just to ensure that the immediately visible parts do not show up in English. Altogether there's roughly 1250 texts still missing, the majority coming from Strife.

Polish: Strife is roughly half done, Hacx and Harmony hasn't started yet. Altogether there's roughly 920 texts missing, again with the majority coming from Strife.

Russian and Czech: Hacx and Harmony are still untranslated, but with active translators being present I think these will be done eventually.

German, French, Korean, Spanish and Portuguese are complete as of now, although some text may yet have to be reviewed for European Portuguese.

Right now the most urgent stuff to fill in is the Chex Quest, Hacx and Harmony texts for Italian and Polish, if someone can help here it'd be very much appreciated.
Kostov

Post by Kostov »

I just sifted through the Hacx fonts and improved them as best I can. If you were the one who made those fonts, Graf, you made a huge step up!
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

Can you please make a small change? The descenders of the S and T with comma below in the BigFont are too large for my taste, they are 6 pixels. If they are 4, like all other descenders it'd be better. Best remove the uppermost line of full width and the lowest non-outline line, the one with one gray pixel plus the outline.
Kostov

Post by Kostov »

Fixed it. I just sheared the top part of the comma and left the slanted part.
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

I see that the Serbian characters for Doom's Smallfont have been marked done. Do you want to wait with a PR until you got all the fonts?

BTW, I had a bit of time at work today in which I finished the work on the Latin characters of Harmony's BigFont. What's left is the Cyrillic ones, then all fonts should have complete support for all realistic languages in Latin script plus Russian (that is, there's 13 more Latin letters needed if we had to support Latvian, Lithuanian, Turkish or Slovak, and 5 Cyrillic ones for Ukrainian, Bulgarian, Macedonian or Belarussian) but since on that front nothing has happened so far they are not important for now - most would be very simple anyway.)
Kostov

Post by Kostov »

Serbian smallfont letters are already in GZDoom. I just fixed the font spreadsheet. :D
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

Ah, I was wondering. ;)

BTW, The Czech translation is complete. Xeotroid just finished the Hacx and Harmony texts. Doing all of this so quickly was some impressive work. :)
Xeotroid
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Xeotroid »

I hope it's serviceable, especially the Strife dialogues. I'm going to be further checking it for errors, but it should be alright now.

Edit: There seems to be a problem with the Ť/ť character, wrong one (I guess Ţ/ţ ?)is displayed:
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

Hm. Well, it seems that some fonts missed this character and/or have it mistaken for the one with the cedilla.

Raven small and Chex small don't have it.
Raven big has it in the wrong place U-165 instead of U-164.
Strife small and Strife small2 have U-162 at U-164 and are missing U-164.
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

Harmony's BigFont is done, including the two easiest Serbian characters.
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

Harmony localization is up. To make working with this easier in the future I included the DECORATE patch Blzut3 made for it shortly after its release and disabled the Dehacked patch it came with.
There's a few things this game never defined (e.g. obituaries) and with a DECORATE-based definition these can be added.

Dynamic lights would also have been a lot harder because of finding out which actor is hacked to be what.
There's also an SBARINFO-based status bar in there - that will be replaced with a ZScript-based version when I find the time to do it, for now this will suffice.

Since this was rather invasive it may need a little bit of testing to ensure that everything is working as intended.
Rachael
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Rachael »

Graf Zahl wrote:Since this was rather invasive it may need a little bit of testing to ensure that everything is working as intended.
So far, I have not seen any problems. This seems to work really well.
Kostov

Post by Kostov »

The Serbian engine translation is complete. Not sure if we'll be doing Strife, but we'll finish Doom, Heretic and Hexen within a couple of days.
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

Ok. I think finishing Chex, Hacx and Harmony is more important than all the Strife dialogue anyway. That part should always be the lowest priority of all content.
BTW, the colors are still missing and marked green, Not important? They have been translated for the player menu's translation settings.
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Post by Captain J »

Ooooooh boy, i almost forgot. I just translated empty korean translation parts of Harmony. Again, thanks. You're doing great.

Return to “Developer Blog”