Translating GZDoom's text content. Read if you want to help

Here, developers communicate stuff that does not go onto the main News section or the front page of the site.
[Dev Blog] [Development Builds] [Git Change Log] [GZDoom Github Repo]

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Re: Translating GZDoom's text content. Read if you want to h

Post by Graf Zahl »

If those characters are supposed to be different, why do they share the same code point? Dealing with the fallout from Han unification is something an engine like GZDoom is ill equipped for, it only got one bitmap font for the Unicode BMP.

Also keep in mind that none of the developers here can read Japanese and Chinese, so without help from someone who knows this stuff and has the ability to edit the font it is very unlikely that something can be done about it.
Toooooasty

Post by Toooooasty »

oh, ok. my careless.
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

I really can't judge how serious that is, can you point me to some larger images of the Chinese and Japanese variants?
Toooooasty

Post by Toooooasty »

These few font are among thousands of fonts.
I do not know the process very much, but this font is different depending on the region.

Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

I did some additional research on this but unfortunately it's beyond my abilities to address the problem.
Most importantly, I do not have a ready-to-use font containing the Japanese glyphs for these characters and second, that GNU Unifont homepage is so badly organized that I have problems figuring out if what they provide in terms of Japanese characters is in any way usable here - and since I cannot read the language I'd never be able to merge an alternative set in, provided that I had one, without making things worse.

I don't know how serious this is but ultimately this can be blamed on people who preferred to made a mess instead of extending the character set from the start.
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

Finnish just got all the non-Strife text in the Game Strings file done.
That means it will be active in the upcoming release. :)

We'll see what else will be done. CQ3, Hacx and Harmony would be great, Strife dialogues are secondary, due to the amount of text.
Hurykles
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Legacy GZDoom)

Post by Hurykles »

welp... i finnished Harmony and i'm slowly finnishing HacX.
btw i was the one from polish translators that had some IRL problems but now everything is fine now as you can see
DMeister

Post by DMeister »

Hello, I came here after seeing a Reddit post by the user Undead asking for people to work on the Greek translation. The quality of the existing translation is rather poor from what I've seen on the spreadsheet, so I'd like to help.
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

In that case please send requests for edit access through Google Docs and I'll approve those ASAP.
Sargonnas

Post by Sargonnas »

DMeister wrote:Hello, I came here after seeing a Reddit post by the user Undead asking for people to work on the Greek translation. The quality of the existing translation is rather poor from what I've seen on the spreadsheet, so I'd like to help.
Came here for the same reason.
Esrael
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

Post by Esrael »

I guess it's time to pop open the bottle of champagne (or to be more Finnish, should I say Koskenkorva) over here, because Finnish is done (apart from Strife dialogue)! :D I didn't really want to translate Heretic, Hexen and the rest, because it would spoil the (oh so intricate and unpredictable) stories for me, but since Finnish wasn't going to be made official without them, I had to bite my tongue and just do them.

In fact, translating the games only whet my appetite to actually try the games even more! I just might buy them now. :P

Anyway, for ZDoom's language selection menu, the name of the Finnish language in Finnish is Suomi. (In actuality, in Finnish grammar, languages are in lowercase (so Finnish should really be written as suomi) but since it's the first word of the "sentence" while choosing the language in the ZDoom menu, it can be written as Suomi in this case.)

Thanks for making localizing Doom (and the other games) possible. It has been quite a fun ride translating them, and there's a good chance I'll end up translating the rest of the Strife stuff, too. With this I could make my small contribution back to this awesome project. Keep up the good hard work, devs! :)
Kostov

Post by Kostov »

Grats, my Uralic comrade. Strife is kind of a bitch - I had a leading part in making a whole voiceover for it - but it's a fun game in the end.

As for Hexen, I highly recommend having a friend with you (maybe even someone from Finland, to help you test the translation during your playthrough). As a co-op game, it becomes so much more, in my opinion.
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

Esrael wrote: I didn't really want to translate Heretic, Hexen and the rest, because it would spoil the (oh so intricate and unpredictable) stories for me, but since Finnish wasn't going to be made official without them, I had to bite my tongue and just do them.
Don't worry, the texts really do not spoil the games - quite unlike the Strife dialogues. With these I would't even recommend translating them without having played through it once, so you understand the context.
Hurykles
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Legacy GZDoom)

Post by Hurykles »

Ladies and gentlemen I finally kurwa finished my polish translation (except strife of course) but all translations for dooms, heretic, hexen with expansion, chex quest, harmony and hacx are completed. If i missed someting let me know.
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

Thanks for the hard work.

To all translators:

As Undead pointed out to me, the reverb editor menu was missed whwn compiling the texts to translate. These will be added ASAP, it's ca. 50 new texts, but since it is very technical I'm not sure how easy it is. So, unless you are sure to be able to translate the entire list of reverb settings properly (i.e. the translation represents proper technical jargon), better leave it alone and only do the generic UI texts for the menu.

EDIT: Looking at some German-language websites discussing the technical side of reverb, they are full of English technical terms which makes me believe that translating the editor itself may be counterproductive. This may be of use for non-Latin-script languages, but I think the rest better leave the red-tinted block alone.

Return to “Developer Blog”