Translating GZDoom's text content. Read if you want to help

Here, developers communicate stuff that does not go onto the main News section or the front page of the site.
[Dev Blog] [Development Builds] [Git Change Log] [GZDoom Github Repo]

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Gez

Re: Translating GZDoom's text content. Read if you want to h

Post by Gez »

I've updated the [wiki=Internationalization]wiki page[/wiki], adding Esperanto and moving Romanian from "WIP" to "complete enough". Hopefully that's accurate.
sinisterseed
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by sinisterseed »

Well, the Engine Strings have been complete for a while now, that's only changing if better ideas come or some fixes for overlooked mistakes are to be made, and I've also finished the Chex side of Game Strings yesterday.

HacX and Harmony remain though, but HacX is nearing completion too.
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

Now that Greek has seen some significant progress it may be time to think about the fonts. I may be able to do the non-Raven fonts myself, but the Raven font with its small letters is something I definitely need help with because drawing the letters for this font exceeds my capabilities. Anyone here that is willing to do it?
Kizoky
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 11

Post by Kizoky »

Okay, I got really discouraged when people told me the translation I did for Doom and Doom 2 was kinda not so correct, but seeing no other Hungarian contributed so far I will help translating all of them
sinisterseed

Post by sinisterseed »

Kizoky wrote:Okay, I got really discouraged when people told me the translation I did for Doom and Doom 2 was kinda not so correct, but seeing no other Hungarian contributed so far I will help translating all of them
Aw man, can really sympathize with that one, nothing is more demoralizing than trying to help - only to have people bash your work. Can't even count the times I've been there myself...

I'll prolly be in a similar situation with my Romanian translations. I am quite satisfied with what I've done so far but there's still a nagging feeling that some things could be done better, Hexen's weapons for instance - man I hated some of them for sure, you stupid staves and super weapons. It's not horrible by any means, but I guess it could be better, I'm just not that poetic to think of better translations or substitutes in places :laff: .

Don't let others put you down though, keep pushing forward.
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Post by Captain J »

bah, Strife's dialogues are bunch of cliches... I mean in translating way. I tried to loose some of the dialogues and potentially dangerous typos.
sinisterseed

Post by sinisterseed »

I think that's an issue with translating stuff in general honestly, no matter how accurate it is, it loses its original charm. I've noticed this first in Heretic and and then Hexen. It just isn't the same.
Kostov

Post by Kostov »

If you're serious about translating and your translation just doesn't do enough, it's time to start considering localizations instead. The main difference between translating and localizing is, instead of just translating the words, the original text is adapted to the new language's culture. Take Woolseyisms as an example - take what might be his most famous one, Son of a Submariner.

Even if it seems some of GZDoom's languages may not be very widely used to warrant these kinds of additions, it's definitely a skillset for any translator to possess.
landfill baby

Post by landfill baby »

once PR#1066 is merged, line 1872 (GLTEXMNU_ENABLEHIRES) can be deleted
drfrag
Vintage GZDoom Developer

Post by drfrag »

I get the "Bad macro in el : TXT_BY" error message in the console with all games.
That is still a thing.
zrakbz

Post by zrakbz »

Hi! I was surprised to find out someone translated the games to Serbian. I thought I was the only one here. I gave the translations a look and, even though they are absolutely superb, I saw several minor mistakes (both typos and grammar), also apparently Strife isn't translated at all. I downloaded the spreadsheets and I plan to slowly work on them. Is there some sort of time constraint for that? Also is the translation still a WIP by the original dude?
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

Feel free to work on it. The Serbian translation has been inactive for quite some time. It would be preferable if you could work directly on the Google sheets, though, if you request it, I can give you access
zrakbz

Post by zrakbz »

So far I'd like to see if I even get off my ass and do anything. Once I make a more or less significant improvement I'll ask you for access, thank you!
Kostov

Post by Kostov »

Hello. Yes, I worked on the Serbian translation, and it could've been done much better. Do you have Steam, could you add me there so we could discuss and work together? Send a PM in that case.
Kostov

Post by Kostov »

Graf, is it possible to have the appearance of certain characters change depending on the currently set language? This mainly concerns Ravens’ games: in reality, some characters in Russian and Serbian don’t look quite the same in their italicized/handwritten styles, which is exactly the style used in those games.

Here’s an example—Russian is blue and Serbian is yellow. Red one is Bulgarian, which we don’t have in GZDoom:
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/ ... ursive.png

Return to “Developer Blog”