Git repository: Resetting the Master branch

Here, developers communicate stuff that does not go onto the main News section or the front page of the site.
[Dev Blog] [Development Builds] [Git Change Log] [GZDoom Github Repo]

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Git repository: Resetting the Master branch

Postby Graf Zahl » Fri Jan 25, 2019 2:32 am

People using the git repo to self compile or those using devbuilds may have noticed that the binaries from the master branch have become somewhat unstable.

This was the result of some bad refactoring that turned out harder to fix than expected.
Unfortunately there is no easy solution to fix this code on short notice. It would require a lot of time to straighten things out so in order to get back a stable master branch I decided to roll back the abovementioned refactoring and then reconstruct a new branch, only containing the clean commits.
But due to the extent of the changes - we are talking about 140 commits here from which 50 had to be re-applied this cannot be done without actually resetting master to a different branch in the repo.

This means that everybody working directly with the repo will have to do a rebase of master, once the changeover has been made. I have to apologize for this but the alternative would be a prolonged period of extreme instability that would be detrimental to the project itself.
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom Developer
Lead GZDoom Developer

Re: Git repository: Resetting the Master branch

Postby Rachael » Fri Jan 25, 2019 2:36 am

For anyone confused, when Graf pushes the new master, you can use the following command to reset your local branch:

Code: Select allExpand view
git fetch
git checkout -B master origin/master

Please note that if you have a special multi-repo setup, rename the "master" in that command to your local branch (i.e. gzdoom) and the second "origin/master" to the remote (i.e. gzdoom-remote/master).

If you already did a pull and your local branch is in a conflicted state, you can use "git merge --abort" to terminate the pull and then do the reset as described above.
Rachael
Webmaster

Discord: Rachael#3767
Twitch ID: madamerachelle
Github ID: madame-rachelle
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Re: Git repository: Resetting the Master branch

Postby Graf Zahl » Fri Jan 25, 2019 3:46 am

The new master is now pushed.
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom Developer
Lead GZDoom Developer