Security Reminder

We sure do have a lot of rules and guidelines threads - find them all here, and please make sure you've read them! Also, community-wide announcements (that aren't major ZDoom News) go here as well.

Re: Security Reminder

Postby NeuralStunner » Sat Jan 19, 2019 6:32 pm

And if anyone is unsure how to make a better password, why not go Munroe Style like I do?
Spoiler:
NeuralStunner
Cuddly but Packin'

Discord: NeuralStunner#1293

Postby Gollgagh » Mon Jan 21, 2019 8:58 pm

NeuralStunner wrote:Munroe Style

I use a modified version (because I'm actually quite bad at generating "random" passwords) where I jam on the keyboard randomly for a few letters, like say "ofkrm"; then I expand that as if it was an acronym, to, say "Oscillating Firecrackers Kindly Reveal Municipalities". (this is not a real password of mine, just an example)

This is obviously easily expandable to just about any length. Often I also add non-dictionary words, either non-English or slight misspellings or fake words entirely to increase security against dictionary attacks, which are the primary weakness of this style of password.
Gollgagh

Postby Wiw » Sat Jan 26, 2019 6:41 am

I've had to take out a subscription to 1Password because of this Collection #1 debacle!
Wiw
Frequently puts foot in mouth

Postby Rachael » Sat Jan 26, 2019 7:23 am

Yikes. I hope you changed all your passwords.
Rachael
Webmaster

Discord: Rachael#3767
Twitch ID: madamerachelle
Github ID: madame-rachelle

Postby Caligari87 » Sat Jan 26, 2019 11:28 am

I've starting migrating over to LessPass. Got a new secure master password that will never be used or written down anywhere else, and I can use that to generate highly secure randomized passwords I don't need to write down or remember.

8-)
Caligari87
I'm just here for the community
User Accounts Assistant

Discord: Caligari87#3089

Previous

Return to Rules and Forum Announcements