GPL transition complete.

Here, developers communicate stuff that does not go onto the main News section or the front page of the site.
[Dev Blog] [Development Builds] [Git Change Log] [GZDoom Github Repo]

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Re: GPL transition complete.

Post by Graf Zahl »

It wouldn't surprise me at all if FMod cooked the sound a bit to achieve a better impression with the paying customers.
For OpenAL I'd say that this being a free and open source library, no such antics are needed.

This reminds me of some DVDs from the early 2000's where often the DTS track also was postprocessed to make it sound superior to the Dolby Digital version - and it often worked, never mind that for people who had a bit of knowledge it was often unmissable that the sound had been compromised.
Ed the Bat
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Ed the Bat »

Nash wrote:What about the copyrighted art assets? Any plans on how to handle that portion?
I must admit I am very curious about this, as well. Particularly the Wolfenstein dogs.
ZZYZX

Post by ZZYZX »

Just please don't throw out bigfonts like Odamex did.
zrrion the insect

Post by zrrion the insect »

Including freedoom-derived resources I imagine. If anyone wanted the old stuff back they could download a separate mod that include it.
ZZYZX

Post by ZZYZX »

Freedoom by default (builtin in gzdoom.pk3) and gzdoom-nonfree.pk3 which would be autoloaded when present (and preferably shipped with regular releases, however not sure if it's possible)?

So that if you wanted to make your own game, you can just delete gzdoom-nonfree.pk3, which then wouldn't be a crucial part of the engine, but regular players will still get a coherent Doom experience without specific elements standing out in a bad way.

I mean, like, nonfree fonts are a large issue as well and you can look at Odamex on how shitty it looks when you take fonts out because they are nonfree. So I'd rather not have to play Doom that looks like this.
Last edited by ZZYZX on Wed Apr 19, 2017 11:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nash

Post by Nash »

Well I started this but haven't finished it yet because there was no urgency, plus I was busy with IRL work...
Nash wrote:Image

Working on a GPL pupperino to replace the dog sprites in gzdoom.pk3.
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

ZZYZX wrote:Just please don't throw out bigfonts like Odamex did.
Concerning Doom resources, my idea here is to split gzdoom.pk3 in two - one file containing the minimum necessary resources and an add-on with the data that derives directly from the games, so that those who wish to create a completely new game free of any dependencies can just delete the second one and run the game without it.

BTW, I saw that PrBoom already has a dog replacement - it's not a dog but looks like some kind of worm, but for a start it'll do - with the real dog being put into the second resource file.
_mental_

Post by _mental_ »

Is executable's icon considered copyrighted material?
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

Possibly yes, but that should be replaceable.
Xaser

Post by Xaser »

Torm essentially has it covered. QZDoom too. ;)
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

Graf Zahl wrote:BTW, I saw that PrBoom already has a dog replacement - it's not a dog but looks like some kind of worm, but for a start it'll do - with the real dog being put into the second resource file.
Where did you get that version of PRBoom? I can only find versions that still have the dog.

As a matter of interest, is there any information as to how many people use the dog sprites for anything/ do any mods require/use the helper dogs? If it's negligible would it be suitable to leave the code in place but remove the dog sprites and have anyone who needs them provide their own?
_mental_

Post by _mental_ »

Xaser wrote:Torm essentially has it covered. QZDoom too. ;)
To look nice on modern operating systems those icons should be sets of images, let's say from 16x16 to 512x512 pixels. I think 32, 64, 128 and 256 pixel widths (and heights) are bare minimum.
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

Enjay wrote:
Graf Zahl wrote:BTW, I saw that PrBoom already has a dog replacement - it's not a dog but looks like some kind of worm, but for a start it'll do - with the real dog being put into the second resource file.
Where did you get that version of PRBoom? I can only find versions that still have the dog.
In the SVN repo there's replacements for the non-free stuff.
Shadow Hog

Post by Shadow Hog »

Enjay wrote:As a matter of interest, is there any information as to how many people use the dog sprites for anything/ do any mods require/use the helper dogs? If it's negligible would it be suitable to leave the code in place but remove the dog sprites and have anyone who needs them provide their own?
Reelism uses the sprites, as do a few maps in DUMP 2 and 3.

I imagine Reelism can update to replace the dog sprite internally, but I don't see DUMP updating accordingly.
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

Graf Zahl wrote:In the SVN repo there's replacements for the non-free stuff.
Thanks, I'll take a look.
Shadow Hog wrote:Reelism uses the sprites, as do a few maps in DUMP 2 and 3.

I imagine Reelism can update to replace the dog sprite internally, but I don't see DUMP updating accordingly.
Heh thanks, I just assume that if I see the German Shepherd sprites in a mod they've been added. I always forget that they're actually in the port PK3. TBH, they're so Wolfenstein in style and association that they look a bit odd in Doom anyway (and, yes, I know I've used them myself before, and probably will again. :P ).

Return to “Developer Blog”