What Happened To The Editing Forum?

We sure do have a lot of rules and guidelines threads - find them all here, and please make sure you've read them! Also, community-wide announcements (that aren't major ZDoom News) go here as well.
Rachael
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

What Happened To The Editing Forum?

Post by Rachael »

No doubt if you came to this topic you're wondering just what in the heck happened to the editing forum.

Yes - it has been split.

Yes - the majority of megathreads have been closed.

This is all done to actually help people to get - well, you know, help.

The splitting was done in order to prevent pending topics from washing right off into page 2 quickly. The new subforum set is categorized to hopefully allow people to ask questions and not have to worry about their topic being unnoticed and unanswered.

The megathreads were closed for exactly the same reason. The issue the megathreads had was that people kept posting questions in them, but because 10 other people had questions they never got a response, and were often ignored.

The original intent of the megathreads was to ask simple questions that did not warrant an entire topic. Well - from me to you guys, I would encourage you to open a topic from now on - no matter how "minor" you think your issue is. If you think it's minor, someone else might think it's important and want to see what the answer to your question is. No matter how minor your issue is, it's still an issue and I'd like to help you see it get resolved, rather than completely ignored as was happening in the megathreads.

So - that's why the old editing forum was archived, and why the megathreads are now closed. I'm hoping that by doing this, people can get some actual help, now! And it also affords knowledgeable folks the opportunity to see what others actually do still need help with.
Clay

Re: What Happened To The Editing Forum?

Post by Clay »

This seems like a good idea and really flows along with the general spirit of the forum. Thanks for the update Rachael!
Marrub

Preferred Pronouns: No Preference
Operating System Version (Optional): Arch Linux
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

Post by Marrub »

I think the Spriting Carnival thread should be moved to General, the issue with it being in "Assets" is that a lot of sprites in there aren't free to use.
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

SomeOtherDoomGuy wrote:This seems like a good idea and really flows along with the general spirit of the forum. Thanks for the update Rachael!
Sure. :)
Marrub wrote:I think the Spriting Carnival thread should be moved to General, the issue with it being in "Assets" is that a lot of sprites in there aren't free to use.
Good point. Done.
Marrub

Preferred Pronouns: No Preference
Operating System Version (Optional): Arch Linux
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

Post by Marrub »

Thanks!
Gez

Post by Gez »

If the megathreads are closed, shouldn't they also be unpinned?
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

I've left them pinned for now, for historical value. I figured I can always change my mind later.
cortlong50

Post by cortlong50 »

To be honest (and it’s just me) I usually find someone has asked the same wuestion in the “how do i” thread and can usually get help in there somewhere. I feel like this is kinda gonna just clog up a lot of space and make things harder. But that’s just me. I don’t know much about running forums so hopefully this will be better. Haven’t had any issues with zoom forums yet. So you must be doing something right.
gwHero
Graphics Processor: Intel with Vulkan/Metal Support

Post by gwHero »

cortlong50 wrote:I usually find someone has asked the same wuestion in the “how do i” thread and can usually get help in there somewhere
It is true that when I have a question I also benefit from posts where someone had asked the same thing before. But some threads were getting so large that I mostly googled my way to the posts, and not by browsing through all the pages of the mega threads.

So I think this is an improvement, I believe it's easier to browse through pages with dedicated posts than through the mega posts themselves.
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

cortlong50 wrote:But that’s just me.

You actually were able to find stuff in that monster? To me it appeared that most questions went unanswered and it was just a giant unordered mess that provided no help to most users.
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

Graf Zahl wrote:To me it appeared that most questions went unanswered and it was just a giant unordered mess that provided no help to most users.
Likewise. In fact only about 1 in every 4 or 5 questions ever got answered, anytime I've looked at it.
cortlong50

Post by cortlong50 »

Graf Zahl wrote:
cortlong50 wrote:But that’s just me.

You actually were able to find stuff in that monster? To me it appeared that most questions went unanswered and it was just a giant unordered mess that provided no help to most users.
hahaha "that monster" is definitely a good name for it. i just always tried to not be the guy asking for help, so id do my best to find it, but i could definitely see that being an issue.
the other good thing i liked about it was if i did have to post most the time someone did come in and offer help, without the whole "check the wiki" routine...which sometimes can get a bit confusing.
cortlong50

Post by cortlong50 »

but again, im totally down with changes and improvements, this forum toots along just fine and im game to try new stuff to see if it works. if not, we can always go back to the cluster...fudge of how do i?

also rachael (sorry, off topic) it is saying im unauthorized to send PMs? wondering why. id send you a PM about it buuuut.
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

cortlong50 wrote:also rachael (sorry, off topic) it is saying im unauthorized to send PMs? wondering why. id send you a PM about it buuuut.
Should be able to, now.
Gez

Post by Gez »

cortlong50 wrote: the other good thing i liked about it was if i did have to post most the time someone did come in and offer help, without the whole "check the wiki" routine...which sometimes can get a bit confusing.
You want to avoid the "check the wiki" routine? Then show that you've done your homework.

So, random example (I've actually used the [wiki]Special:Random[/wiki] feature of the wiki to get this example). Let's say you have trouble with [wiki]CreateTranslation[/wiki]. Here are two ways to ask a question about it:

Question #1:
halp how do i make color changes? i tried sth and didnt work
Answer #1:
Read the wiki: [wiki]CreateTranslation[/wiki]
Question #2:
I'm trying to use [wiki]CreateTranslation[/wiki] but it doesn't work. Here's my code:

Code: Select all

CreateTranslation (1, 112;127=96;111);
Answer #2:
You used the wrong character in the ranges, it's the colon : not the semicolon ;.

Return to “Rules and Forum Announcements”